Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does NFCU verify???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does NFCU verify???

Does Navy verify military credentials? I dont want to start a big thing here, just a question,lol. Thanks
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does NFCU verify???

@Anonymous wrote:
Does Navy verify military credentials? I dont want to start a big thing here, just a question,lol. Thanks

Yes, they do.

While they may not do it in realtime, they do get a list from a data aggregator every quarter and they run that against their membership database. 

Not that you would ever think of doing anything like this, but giving them false information to induce an extension of credit is a felony.

Message 2 of 6
geronimo2008
Regular Contributor

NFCU is a lot stricter than they used to be about nearly everything.    More than likely they would refuse you initial membership but it is possible that you wuld get the card and then have it closed by their action.   I don't think that the reward is worth the risk.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am active duty so you know what my answer is...  Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 6
Lyythine
Established Contributor

When i applied for navy, they required no records whatsoever for military affiliation... this was many years ago.  In the past year, however, i have started a relationship beyond a savings with them.  When i applied for my car loan with them, they asked how i was eligible.  I answered ex navy, now DoD contractor.  When I said this, they initially declined me, said I was not eligible because they could not locate my file.  What they wanted me to say was how I initially became involved with the navy, which was Navy OCS.  So, at least to me, it seems as though they have limited knowledge or limited data on military personnel.  Had I answered Navy OCS the first time, there would have been no problems.

USAA on the other hand... Jesus Christ, they are crazy when it comes to identity verification.. at least with me.  They initially only required SS card and DL.  Then over a year later when I applied for car loan to see what rate they would give me, they too asked how i was eligible.  After going thru same process with navy, i said navy OCS.  Well... that created more problems because they had up-to-date data which showed I was not a commissioned officer and actually ex-navy.  So again, i had to fax several mil forms to prove I was who I was.

I think its just my destiny to constantly be proving who I am to CC/Loan companies.   

Back to your question though, Navy seems to obtain very limited data on military personnel. 

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lyythine wrote:

When i applied for navy, they required no records whatsoever for military affiliation... this was many years ago.  In the past year, however, i have started a relationship beyond a savings with them.  When i applied for my car loan with them, they asked how i was eligible.  I answered ex navy, now DoD contractor.  When I said this, they initially declined me, said I was not eligible because they could not locate my file.  What they wanted me to say was how I initially became involved with the navy, which was Navy OCS.  So, at least to me, it seems as though they have limited knowledge or limited data on military personnel.  Had I answered Navy OCS the first time, there would have been no problems.

USAA on the other hand... Jesus Christ, they are crazy when it comes to identity verification.. at least with me.  They initially only required SS card and DL.  Then over a year later when I applied for car loan to see what rate they would give me, they too asked how i was eligible.  After going thru same process with navy, i said navy OCS.  Well... that created more problems because they had up-to-date data which showed I was not a commissioned officer and actually ex-navy.  So again, i had to fax several mil forms to prove I was who I was.

I think its just my destiny to constantly be proving who I am to CC/Loan companies.   

Back to your question though, Navy seems to obtain very limited data on military personnel. 

One of the various reasons why USAA was exclusively the realm of military officers for so long is because it is easy to verify whether one has a commission or not -- it's a matter of public record once published in the Federal Register.  With enlisted personnel and warrant officers, they needed to verify military affiliation on a one-by-one basis and always in accordance with the service branch's privacy guidelines.

I've always wondered why NFCU always asks you each time you apply for a credit product how one is eligible for membership.  I mean, they should already have that data on the screen right in front of them.

Anyhow, for enlisted personnel and warrant officers, NFCU cannot easily verify military service on an individual basis directly with one's service branch.  They do, however, get data on a quarterly or semiannual basis from a data aggregator who obtains a download of the DOD DEERS database which documents all military personnel entitled to TRICARE.  97% of all current and retired personnel are listed in DEERS.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.