Did you mean: 

Does Sallie Mae play hard to get?

tag
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

Re: Does Sallie Mae play hard to get?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Longroad wrote:

I would not say they are that difficult to get. My son was approved last fall during his first ever app spree. He had no cards, only 2 student loans and was approved for the Sallie Mae with a $3200 CL. Shocked me and him too

I would have thought it was relatively easy to get, as it seems to be marketed at students (or ex-students with loans rather!), but from most people posting here it seems harder than that.

That was my impression as well. However I was mid to high 700 TU when I applied, so I can't really testify to how "easy" it is.

Its a good card though! Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 37
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

The Sallie Mae WMC has the higher underwriting requirements, and then there is the Platinum for students (since that is what it was originally geared towards I believe).  

When you app you are first looked at for the WMC and if you don't meet those requirements then you are considered for the platinum.  I do believe for the WMC the requirements are mid to high 700's.  

I was just approved last week for the WMC and my score was 735 and I have high util. right now.  So to be honest I was surprised that I got it.  But since I still have a SM student loan that I'll probably pay till I die I figured what the heck, might as well get some rewards and pay my loan Smiley Very Happy.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 12 of 37
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

But the nice thing is that the Plat has the same rewards, right?   Just without the (fairly useless IMO) World benefits.  So getting that is fine.

Message 13 of 37
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

But the nice thing is that the Plat has the same rewards, right?   Just without the (fairly useless IMO) World benefits.  So getting that is fine.

Yup, same rewards. Smiley Happy

I got the WMC and the only differences are the meh benefits and the word "World" imprinted above the MC logo. Otherwise, its the exact same card.

Message 14 of 37
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

@Shock wrote:

Thats Dw, bear with me...

So you're saying my DOFD for this account is 10/2009 instead of 07/2007?

If that's the case, I'm not waiting another two and a half years. I will contact them and not stop until they do a goodwill deletion.

I don't mean to hijiack your thread Smiley Happy

No worries...we are all here to help each other Smiley WinkI

'm not a FICO scoring expert by any means, but my understanding is 30 and 60 lates affect your score for 2 years (so you're OK for the ones in 2009).  90 and 120's have an effect for the entire 7 (they are considered major derogs).  However their effects are lessened by time.  Since you're in year 6, I don't think you're being dinged too badly.  If I'm reading this correctly, your last 90 day should fall off your report this fall.  At that time, you should see a nice score bump, although there's a small chance your score might drop ( depending on your AAofA.  I would try the GW route for sure!

Message 15 of 37
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Longroad wrote:

I would not say they are that difficult to get. My son was approved last fall during his first ever app spree. He had no cards, only 2 student loans and was approved for the Sallie Mae with a $3200 CL. Shocked me and him too

I would have thought it was relatively easy to get, as it seems to be marketed at students (or ex-students with loans rather!), but from most people posting here it seems harder than that.

I think the card is a little scizophrenic in it's marketing

I've seen a lot of approvals for fairly low limits , which is in line with the student/ recent graduate theory.

But then you'll see approvals for high limit WMC versions too.

I recently got a Sallie Mae, I was sweating getting a usable limit of about $7k~$10k because that would

make my utilization about 10% on the odd months I run $1000 through. I thought that $10k is probably

stretching it on a card marketed to students. I was instant approved for $18.8k, which sort of blows holes

in the student only theory.

It does seem like the card is more inq and overall CL sensitve than most though, both for approval and terms.

I love this card. If the caps were doubled it would be a near perfect 1 card solution for me.

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 16 of 37
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I want this to be the next card I apply for.  I do have a balance on another card of theirs though so not sure what they'll think of that.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 17 of 37
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

I too am very interested in applying for this card. Am going to try and wait for one year date where all my prior inquiries fall off, hope I can be patient enough and wait.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 18 of 37
kp19

If you don't already have a gas or groceries card, then go ahead and get it. I think it's worth it. I was around mid 700's, but did an app spree, got approved for all, and been kicking it in the garden for a while now to make up for it though since i'm in the high 690's. Smiley Sad 

Anyways, do you already have a Barclaycard? If you do, then the application may go easier on you because you can just split your credit limit to the other so that you may be able to get the card and just work on CLI afterwards. If you can wait, then you might as well wait. 

Message 19 of 37
Shock
Established Contributor

Thanks DW. I will make a separate thread for my issue and see if I can get some more advice on what to do.

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.