cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does USAA Allow You to Upgrade Your Mastercard?

tag
Johnny_Favorite
Regular Contributor

Does USAA Allow You to Upgrade Your Mastercard?

I am pretty dumb in that I applied for a regular Platinum USAA Mastercard and was approved just earlier this month. I didn't realize I could have got a World Mastercard through their Affiliate link. I'm wondering if anyone has had any success doing an upgrade or product change from their Platinum to World mastercard? I tried calling USAA right now but was on hold for 15 min and had to do something so I hung up.

Question number 2 would be: If I applied for their World Mastercard straight up and just canceled the other card in 6 months? Do they allow you to have two mastercards at once?

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Elcid89
Contributor

Re: Does USAA Allow You to Upgrade Your Mastercard?

AFAIK I know their limit is three cards. I have two.

You can apply for the second card and take the hit for the HP with a chance of being approved, or just call them and ask for a product change. Choice is yours.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 2 of 7
suebee123
Frequent Contributor

I have 5 of their credit cards. 3 master cards, 1 amex and 1 visa.  I don't think you can upgrade, but you can apply for another mastercard if you want.  Of course, there will be another hard pull on credit report.

Current: EQ Fico (700), EX Fico AMX (681) TU Fico Walmart (711) MyFico TU (708) Vantage: TU 803, EX 777, EQ 789
Goal: 700+ across the board.
Message 3 of 7
Elcid89
Contributor

@suebee123 wrote:

I have 5 of their credit cards. 3 master cards, 1 amex and 1 visa.  I don't think you can upgrade, but you can apply for another mastercard if you want.  Of course, there will be another hard pull on credit report.

LOL, I stand corrected, and happily so. Most cards I've ever seen from a single lender.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no limit to the number of cards and you can have more than one of the same card with them.  They do, however, have a limit at total credit exposure set at $50k.  Going above $50k requires jumping through hoops with no guaranty even then of success.

IME, you can PC from a platinum MC to a World.  It will depend, though, on the specific product.  I think their Rate Advantage MC cannot be converted, or something like that.

Message 5 of 7
Johnny_Favorite
Regular Contributor

I just talked to a USAA rep. According to her, I do not qualify for the World Mastercard because I have to be PNC eligible (property and casualty insurance) which basically means I have to be a full member. So I have two options.

1. Have my step dad give me his information through the airforce so they can verify him as a USAA member and make me eligible for the upgrade.

2. Apply for the card I want and take the hard pull. Not sure I want 3 cards with them at this time, but it's an option. I have already been approved for 8 cards in the past 2 months and feel like pushing my luck with another card is just asking for AA from some other lender. Decisions, decisions. I'm not sure if I would be declined for the world mastercard anyway just based on my profile (not a full member).

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Johnny_Favorite wrote:

I just talked to a USAA rep. According to her, I do not qualify for the World Mastercard because I have to be PNC eligible (property and casualty insurance) which basically means I have to be a full member. So I have two options.

1. Have my step dad give me his information through the airforce so they can verify him as a USAA member and make me eligible for the upgrade.

2. Apply for the card I want and take the hard pull. Not sure I want 3 cards with them at this time, but it's an option. I have already been approved for 8 cards in the past 2 months and feel like pushing my luck with another card is just asking for AA from some other lender. Decisions, decisions. I'm not sure if I would be declined for the world mastercard anyway just based on my profile (not a full member).

That's too bad.  They are strange like that.

If you really want a World, I'd go option one.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.