cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does a BT look worse to a creditor than PIF?

tag
Cashbackjunky
Established Contributor

Does a BT look worse to a creditor than PIF?

I have about $3k on my sapphire and I COULD pay it off in full, but it would leave me strapped for cash.

My question is, if I BT that to my BofA card will this look "worse" in any of my present (or future) creditors eyes. (Might look like I can't pay for my debt, when in reality I can).

Normally I would just pay it in full and not worry about being strapped for cash because I had a big savings - as some of you may have seen, I just recently got engaged and the ring completely depleted my savings.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Let me know if you guys need more info.

Cheers!
AmEx Blue Cash Preferred - $20k | | AmEx Cash Magnet - $20k | | Apple Card - $29k | | BofA Customized Cash - $96k | | BofA Customized Cash - $25k | | BofA Unlimited Cash - $30k | | CapOne Quicksilver - $16.25k | | CapOne Venture - $30k | | Chase Amazon - $26.7k | | Chase Freedom Unlimited - $24k | | Chase Freedom - $16k | | Chase Freedom Flex - $41k | | Citi Custom Cash - $17.9k | | Citi Rewards+ - $15.4k | | Discover It Cash Back - $18k | | Discover It Cash Back - $21.3k | |Discover It Travel - $14.5k | | Elan Max Cash Preferred- $15k | | PayPal Cashback Mastercard - $20k | | PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature - $12.5k | | PenFed Power Cash - $12.5k | | Synchrony Discount Tire Card - $25k | | Wells Fargo Autograph - $25k
837 INQ:
836 INQ:
825 INQ:

TCL: $571.05k CCs:23 AAoA: 6yr 1mo Util: ~1% Derog: 0

Mortgage: $215.1k Sonata Lease: $1.3k Palisade: $23.8k
15 REPLIES 15
Cashbackjunky
Established Contributor

Re: Does a BT look worse to a creditor than PIF?

Please excuse my ignorance on the topic as I've never had to think of a BT.

Cheers!
AmEx Blue Cash Preferred - $20k | | AmEx Cash Magnet - $20k | | Apple Card - $29k | | BofA Customized Cash - $96k | | BofA Customized Cash - $25k | | BofA Unlimited Cash - $30k | | CapOne Quicksilver - $16.25k | | CapOne Venture - $30k | | Chase Amazon - $26.7k | | Chase Freedom Unlimited - $24k | | Chase Freedom - $16k | | Chase Freedom Flex - $41k | | Citi Custom Cash - $17.9k | | Citi Rewards+ - $15.4k | | Discover It Cash Back - $18k | | Discover It Cash Back - $21.3k | |Discover It Travel - $14.5k | | Elan Max Cash Preferred- $15k | | PayPal Cashback Mastercard - $20k | | PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature - $12.5k | | PenFed Power Cash - $12.5k | | Synchrony Discount Tire Card - $25k | | Wells Fargo Autograph - $25k
837 INQ:
836 INQ:
825 INQ:

Message 2 of 16
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Unless you were doing the BT every month... shuffling debt. I don't think it is a big deal at all. People do this all the time. A word of advice, never leave yourself depleted of funds over things that aren't a necessity.

Put that sucker on layaway or something. Lol

Bad things happen and give no warning.. always CYA.

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use balance transfers fairly often. I don't think it's an issue unless you're trying to find a way to avoid dealing with debt. If you have to transfer the same debt more than once or twice and the balances don't seem to be going anywhere, consider going to see a debt counselor. If you're using using 0% transfer offers strategically, then I wouldn't be worried.
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will add, however, if you need/want to apply for credit around the same time you are doing a BT, do note that there could be a chance that the balance shows up for two creditors simultaneously. That is a temporary situation however.
Message 5 of 16
Cashbackjunky
Established Contributor

@Gmood1, I will note that I still have upwards of $10k saved up, is just not as much as I'd like. 😊

I put the ring on layaway for a bit, but just couldn't wait to get engaged to the love of my life (sorry for getting mushy)

Cheers!
837 INQ:
836 INQ:
825 INQ:

Message 6 of 16
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@Cashbackjunky wrote:
@Gmood1, I will note that I still have upwards of $10k saved up, is just not as much as I'd like. 😊

I put the ring on layaway for a bit, but just couldn't wait to get engaged to the love of my life (sorry for getting mushy)

Cheers!

The sugar just oozed out on to my keyboard..yuk! Lol

Oh I understand... the money part that is. I'm older and life has hardened me from the love stuff. Lol

We'd have to wait on this kid to get his duckets in order before anything. 😂😂😂

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

They wouldn't offer balance transfers of zero percent constantly if they frowned upon it.  I would get a zero percent intro rate with zero transfer fees and transfer away. And they want you to not pay it all and carry a balance.  That is how they make money.

Message 8 of 16
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Another question. When one does a BT, what percentage of the CL should remain on the card? I'm thinking of a BT too but don't want to max card out.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 9 of 16
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:
Another question. When one does a BT, what percentage of the CL should remain on the card? I'm thinking of a BT too but don't want to max card out.

No more than 30% used of that card's limit, the same that applies with normal charges.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.