cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does a card I cancel still affect ave. age of accounts on reports?

tag
killnfool
Valued Member

Does a card I cancel still affect ave. age of accounts on reports?

I want to cancel a Best Buy Rewards card before the insane annual is due, and probably get a Chase Amazon or freedom card to replace it. The BB card is my oldest card though so I'm worried about the average account age. I do have some student loan accounts that are almost paid off that are about 12 years old that help things. Obviously it will drop a little if I get a new card, but I'm hoping a canceled BB card will still help with age. That combined with a higher CL on a new chase card if I get one, I'm hoping the fico points might even out. Anybody know?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
GordonShumway
Regular Contributor

Re: Does a card I cancel still affect ave. age of accounts on reports?

@killnfool wrote:

I want to cancel a Best Buy Rewards card before the insane annual is due, and probably get a Chase Amazon or freedom card to replace it. The BB card is my oldest card though so I'm worried about the average account age. I do have some student loan accounts that are almost paid off that are about 12 years old that help things. Obviously it will drop a little if I get a new card, but I'm hoping a canceled BB card will still help with age. That combined with a higher CL on a new chase card if I get one, I'm hoping the fico points might even out. Anybody know?

If you close an account in good standing it will continue to report for about ten years. When it drops you'll get the hit of the AoAA.

Message 2 of 7
joestay
Frequent Contributor

So, if I pay off my loan, it'll stay on my report for 10 more years?  That's good to know.

Message 3 of 7
GordonShumway
Regular Contributor

@joestay wrote:

So, if I pay off my loan, it'll stay on my report for 10 more years?  That's good to know.

My first CC was BoA secured and it was open for only 4 months before I moved to a "regular" CC with an ample CL. It was closed in 2003 and it's still there.

Message 4 of 7
killnfool
Valued Member

I know that the TL stays on your report for 10 years, but are you sure that if it's not an active account, that it STILL counts towards your average age?

Message 5 of 7
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Yes, it does count towards your average age.

I have a bunch of old mortgage accounts still showing from when I was in the real estate business. They give me a wonderful AAoA.

Message 6 of 7
lexus400
New Contributor

I just cancelled a HSBC card last week in good standing for 2 years. Should I also cancel creditone which is in the same status. Tired of paying fees. Ready to get a real CC. Any advioce.

Starting Score: 12/09 EQ606 TU609 EX624 pulled by VA lender
Current Score:7/4/10 EQ 698 TU 713 EX 703 pullued by loan officer
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.