cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does a credit card increase the FICO score?

tag
rambocats

Do I need to open a credit card account to increase my FICO (use it sparingly and just to up the FICO score)?

If yes, which card is recommended or should I use my bank (M & T bank) for a credit card?

I have no credit cards, a paid-on-time student loan, and all other bills paid on time (no adverse actions) - yet, my FICO is stuck at 671. 

The suggestion I received from my bank (M & T provides an Equifax FICO and Key Factors) is:

You might want to show new activity on any credit card. If you already have a credit card, you can do this by using it and paying it back on time. If you don't have a credit card, consider opening one. However, be aware that the credit inquiry associated with applying for a new card may lower your FICO score in the short term.

Starting Score: 671
Current Score: 711
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Does a credit card increase the FICO score?

Yes, you need to have a few revolving accounts open to increase your credit score.   Having a mixture of credit(credit cards and installment loans) gives you the highest credit score potential.  Check out the link posted below for more details. 

http://www.myfico.com/CreditEducation/ImproveYourScore.aspx

Message 2 of 10
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

With a score of 671 - you will probably need to limit your IQ to no more than 2-3 max or you are going to get declined for too many IQ & your score will take a hit (dropped). Check your CR and see how many hard IQ you have on each report. Than research the CCs you can/want to apply for that will approve you base on a Fico score of 671 on each report. For me in Texas, most of the banks pulled EQ & TU. My Experian report is clean.

For example...I wouldn't want to go applying for a Continental One Pass card with no or limited credit history. You would waste a hard IQ...and Continental usally pull EQ for Texas. Research your location and what CB these lenders pull.

Now if I was in your shoes and your circumstances, I may app for a Capital one card. Cap 1 will usually pull all 3 CBs so you are going to take a hit on the Fico.

Barclays bank also pull TU for most and some of their cards (Itunes, etc....) are obtainable based on a score of 670 ish....

Again, do your homework deligently, app for only the cards you can get right now base on your fico and limited credit history.

Once you have established your credit, than you can app for some prime cards (chase, citi, ax, to name a few). You can always app to see if they will approve you, but just remember, the more IQ you have on your report, the less likely you are approved on your next application because of "too many inquiries" factor that these lenders uses to analyze wheather you are worthy of doing business with.

Good luck !!

Btw...look at store cards/Gas cards too....they are easier to obtain with limit/no-limit credit history.

Message 3 of 10
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Since you have an established a good relationship with your bank (M&T), I would apply there first..   

Eventually, you should add a few more.   FICO scores likes 3 or more for best score.

Message 4 of 10
rambocats

Seems my score goes up once every three months, then gets stuck; I am going to go with the suggestion of a CC through M & T to drive up my score.

The two explained (score) negatives:

1) Short credit history (that will vanish November 2011);

2) No revolving account history

Thank you to all who responded!

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DI wrote:

Yes, you need to have a few revolving accounts open to increase your credit score.   Having a mixture of credit(credit cards and installment loans) gives you the highest credit score potential.  Check out the link posted below for more details. 

http://www.myfico.com/CreditEducation/ImproveYourScore.aspx

+1

As another poster has said Cap1 is a good option for obtaining a starter card, and getting one thru your bank is also a great idea.

Theres so much more than just having CC's and a mix of credit on your reports that contribute to good FICO's, so keep on reading the Forums and ask ask ask questions, there is sooooooo much you can learn from these Members here at MyFico (like DI) BTW, its nice to see you DI, I have not seen you around lately, missed ya dude!! (sorry about that) back on topic......

Best of Luck to you!!

Message 6 of 10
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Sorry to also go off topic, but DI's post was from May. Haven't seen DI on the boards since late July/early August or so.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@-Cain- wrote:
Sorry to also go off topic, but DI's post was from May. Haven't seen DI on the boards since late July/early August or so.

I did not even notice that, I just assumed it was a recent reply from DI since this thread was responded to recently, did not even look at the date Smiley Sad

Thanks -Cain- for bringing that to my attention, I hope he's OKAY.

Sorry OP for going off topic again.

Message 8 of 10
rambocats

Does a credit card increase the FICO score? (Care Credit Question)

Dear FICO forum members,

Care Credit (GE Money) is an interest-free period of six-months (depending on the agreement, some agreements extend upwards to three-years interest-free) to pay-off the balance or pay it with interest @ 27%.  

I applied for Care Credit for expensive, emergency Veterinary treatment of a sick cat. The Care Credit limit was a lot more than the cost of the treatment (the "limit" thing gets me, why not just approve the cost of the treatment?)and this is where I am stumped. I was told Care Credit could be use for anything veterinary, medical, or dental -as long as the card was accepted (by the provider). No thanks; at 27% interest I would use a bank for loan or credit card if things came to that for a (human) family member. *

Care Credit is 27% interest after deferred (interest free period) no matter who you are or what your credit score.

Problem: My credut score dipped 40 points upon applying for Care Credit, and remained 40 points dipped for an entire month.  My score has since gone back up but only 30-points. I'm missing ten points, and have not received any benefit (FICO wise) for using Care Credit despite paying more than the monthly amount, and on time. Care Credit is reporting I am paying on time AND also showing "deferred."  

As of January 2012, I am on my third (out of six) months to pay, and have a $145 balance (I have paid more than the monthly amount to date).

My questions:

1) Why a fourty-point hit to my score?

2) Does Care Credit count as revolving credit; is it even a credit card? (I'm thinking this is more like a "loan," not a credit card). Even Care Credit / GE Money) won't (or can't) answer this for me. For purposes of FICO score, is it a credit card.

3) Should I just pay off the $145 and be done with Care Credit? I am thinking so , and certainly would not go all the way to the six-month mark.

Thank you!

Message 9 of 10
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

Re: Does a credit card increase the FICO score? (Care Credit Question)

CareCredit counts as a revolving credit account.  You took a dip because of the inquiry and because of a new account.  You will see a decrease any time you have a new account, especially if you have limited credit history.  Once that CareCredit account ages a bit it will do nothing but help your score.

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.