New Visitor
alana20

Does a "charge" card hurt your score?

I just pulled my fico score (trans union) for the first time. Thankfully I am semi-pleased with the results :-). The only thing that concerns me is my charge card. It's an American Express green and I use it for almost everything. Therefore I usually have a high balance at the end of the month, anywhere from $1K - $4K. Now as this is a charge card I pay it off in a full at the due date. Is the fact that it's reporting such a high balance going to hurt my score?

Epic Contributor
Creditaddict

Re: Does a "charge" card hurt your score?

alana20 wrote:

I just pulled my fico score (trans union) for the first time. Thankfully I am semi-pleased with the results :-). The only thing that concerns me is my charge card. It's an American Express green and I use it for almost everything. Therefore I usually have a high balance at the end of the month, anywhere from $1K - $4K. Now as this is a charge card I pay it off in a full at the due date. Is the fact that it's reporting such a high balance going to hurt my score?

No, only TU messes this up sometimes, but usually not an issue.

Fico Scores: EQ 673 DCU, TU 678 Wally, EX 669 Chase(08-31-14)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Express $300
Over 45 Cards in between :smileytongue:
Valued Contributor
thrasher865

I'm probably wrong, like usual, but I don't think true "charge cards" factor into your utilization.  So, to answer your question, no.  It's "no preset spending limit" revolving CCs that hurt your utilization.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
New Visitor
alana20

Well I certainly don't have any of those CCs lol! :-).

Established Contributor
ifinet

My TU does count my Amex charge in "number of accounts with balances". Moreover, my balances across all revolving accounts also factors-in my Amex charge balance. Geez, I'm getting tired of this scoring crap....

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+