cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does adding an authorized user affect credit score?

tag
cjradinfo
Valued Member

Does adding an authorized user affect credit score?

Are their any credit score effects (for you or the person you're authorizing) when you add somebody as an authorized user?

EX: 743 as of 11/14/14
Chase: CSP $15.9k | Chase Freedom $2.4k | Fairmont $5k | Marriott Premier $2k | Hyatt $1.1k | IHG $1k
AMEX: AMEX Platinum NPSL | Hilton HHonors $6k | SPG $4k | Delta Gold Card $2k
Citi: Hilton HHonors Reserve $5.6k
Barclaycard: Arrival+ $2.5k
Capital One: VentureOne $10k
Others: Discover it $1600 | Jared $7.6k
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
ksantangelo23
Frequent Contributor

Re: Does adding an authorized user affect credit score?

Yes. I am 20 years old and have been piggybacking with my grandmother since 2007 and was able to get the three cards under my name in my signature below because of that. Any card you add a person to, it will be copied onto their report as if they were the account holder. Their score will adjust accordingly.

It goes both ways though: being authorized on a card with a bad history, will in turn give that person a bad credit report and score.

AMEX Hilton Ascend: $55,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve: $30,000 | PNC Points: $17,500 | AMEX BCE (AU): $18,000 | AMEX BCP: $15,000 | US Bank Cash+ $15,000 | AMEX Business Prime: $14,000 | AMEX SimplyCash: $12,000 | Capital One QS: $13,500 | Chase Business Ink: $12,000 | PNC Everyday (AU): $12,000 | JCPenny Store Card: $10,500 | Chase Slate: $9,400 | Capital One QS: $6,500 | (2nd) US Bank Cash+ (2nd): $7,500 | Discover IT: $6,000 | Chase Freedom: $3,500 | Auto Lease: $0/$21,000 | Auto Loan: $0/$18,000 |

TU: 818 EX: 809 EQ: 801

Message 2 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Not ANY card...Amex ACMs do not inherit the primary cardholders history.

-------------
The benefits to the AU can be adding a positive credit history without an inq assuming the card has a positive history . It's best if the card has some age, low util and no baddies.

The con would be if there was negative history ie high util , baddies etc. new TL temp ding to AAOA.

There would be no impact one way or the other to the primary to add an AU as long as the AU does not run up balances.
Message 3 of 11
cjradinfo
Valued Member

Thanks for the info!  More specifically, anybody know about Chase cards? 

Chase: CSP $15.9k | Chase Freedom $2.4k | Fairmont $5k | Marriott Premier $2k | Hyatt $1.1k | IHG $1k
Message 4 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 5 of 11
cjradinfo
Valued Member

Sorry, wasn't very specific Smiley Tongue

If I have an authorized user on my CSP anybody know if this will affect their credit score?  I don't recall entering any information other than name so I'm not really sure how it would be linked. 

Message 6 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

You are still not being very specific. Could it help, yes. It depends on the AUs current profile. Will it make approvals easier, perhaps. It depends on if they have their own rev cc history, if they are applying to a lender who factors in AU accounts into their internal scoring.
Message 7 of 11
cjradinfo
Valued Member

Ah, I didn't realize there were so many variables.  

Basically, I guess I was just wondering whether having my GF as an authorized user would help her to get a card.  She's been declined in the past, most recently a few months ago.  Then again, my credit history isn't very long so it probably isn't helping her that much if at all.  

Message 8 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

It could help her establish credit. It will not erase any baddies. There are certain lenders that want individual credit history. For instance if you add her to your CSP, then she would have better luck with Discover or Citi.
Message 9 of 11
kenshin03

it will help you increase your score and it show to all 3credit report,but it will add to your dti as well when I was buying a house its gave me set back to get more pre qual coz It show I owe more money as an au.you can have it remove too by call the credit b .

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.