cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does any one else get annoyed being asked if they want to open a department store CC at check out?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does any one else get annoyed being asked if they want to open a department store CC at check ou

It does get annoying....only because I know they're understand ing of fico/healthy credit is limited. One day I'm going say oh sorry .... I can't it will effect my Aaoa..and see what they say😃LOL

Message 11 of 53
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Re: Does any one else get annoyed being asked if they want to open a department store CC at check ou

Knowing retail cards don't usually exceed 20K on an approval just ask them "Have you ever seen someone get approved for 50K CL when applying?" "No," "Well, then there's your answer as to if I want to apply."

Message 12 of 53
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

There is only one thing stores understand, and that is when you stop shopping there.

Message 13 of 53
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
It does get annoying....only because I know they're understand ing of fico/healthy credit is limited. One day I'm going say oh sorry .... I can't it will effect my Aaoa..and see what they say😃LOL

Haha! Yeah we were like " We aren't interested in the Macy's card since we don't want any hard pulls before my daughter buys her car in a month and she already needs to meet minimum spend on her new Amex to get her $100 bonus."  LOL

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 14 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BluePoodle wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Haha! Yeah we were like " We aren't interested in the Macy's card since we don't want any hard pulls before my daughter buys her car in a month and she already needs to meet minimum spend on her new Amex to get her $100 bonus."  LOL

Only $100 on the BC Amex? Should've held out for the incognito $250 offers Smiley Tongue
Message 15 of 53
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Agree it's not the employee's fault, so testing/making fun of their credit knowledge is a little on the obnoxious side IMO

The only time I get a little annoyed is when it is a person ahead of me in line who is being asked.   At Target recently, the cashier kept pushing it on someone who clearly didn't want it, and was wasting everyone's time (most importantly mine!)   But I guess it's even worse if someone IS actually interested and gets given the forms etc.

Message 16 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thankfully I have my Kohls card! They are a mess I remember being 16-17 an them always wanting me to have a Kohls card; I told the woman I was to young and she looked at me like I was hella stupid.

In interesting news a Sears sales associate tried to persuade me into getting a Sears card when I was 13-14 I don't guess it was enough that my aunt was getting one.

The I don't like that bank is my favorite!!
Message 17 of 53
Kevin86475391
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, it's just a 'no thank you' situation. I'll be quite cheery and pleasant the first time they ask, neutral the second time they ask, and if they get to a third time I'll make it a point to sound irritable.

Message 18 of 53
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Not really.   The upsale is just part of the sales experience, whether it's "do you want to go large on that combo" to "do you want to add a soup or salad" to "are you interested in the extended warranty on this".   You're always free to simply say "no thank you" to any such offer.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 19 of 53
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@SunriseEarth wrote:

Not really.   The upsale is just part of the sales experience, whether it's "do you want to go large on that combo" to "do you want to add a soup or salad" to "are you interested in the extended warranty on this".   You're always free to simply say "no thank you" to any such offer.  

+1. I don't know what most folks here do for a living but if your company sells anything trust and believe that there is probably someone within your organization doing to a consumer exactly what you're describing here.  It's just part of the job.  No need to get offended or upset, just say no and move on.  If they insist then you're within your right to reinforce your answer but other than that, no need to get upset about it.  

Message 20 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.