cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anybody ever apply for credit cards through ad links?

tag
HiLine
Blogger

Does anybody ever apply for credit cards through ad links?

Just wondering how much people trust those links. I myself probably never would for no particular reason even if I knew the link was 100% safe.

Edited: to clarify, I mean links from ad banners such as the ones we see near the top of this page. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
RSCo
Established Contributor

Re: Does anybody ever apply for credit cards through ad links?

@HiLine wrote:

Just wondering how much people trust those links. I myself probably never would for no particular reason even if I knew the link was 100% safe.

I get my lowest CLs by doing this.. All of my highest CLs have come when I call the 800 number directly.. 

$30,500$18,500NPSL$15,000$10,000$25,000$32,000
Message 2 of 12
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Interesting. Some have gotten pretty good bonuses not offered directly by the lenders website.

Ie Amex Platinum bonus a few months ago
Message 3 of 12
grubs
Valued Member

I appee through the credit card match website yesterday for the amex BCE and got approved.
Message 4 of 12
power1234

I don't think is a guaranteed approval but is not that bad

Message 5 of 12
HiLine
Blogger

Credit card match offers are not ad links. I was referring to the type of links on ad banners such as the ones near the top of this page. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 12
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

In that case, I was app'ed for Discover in Jan and Mutual Bank of Omaha - no problems, both approvals and got the bonus offers.
Message 7 of 12
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

Guess it depends on what "ad" means.   If it was a banner ad on a general site, probably not.  But going to one of the trusted credit sites, then yes.  Recently got the TYP with "5x gas, groceries and drug stores for 12 months" , not available from the Citi website, and that turns an otherwise pretty marginal card into a very good one!

Edit: Just saw your later post.  So first case above!

Message 8 of 12
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Unless there is a bonus offer not available on the cards site I just go through the cards site.

Message 9 of 12
LisaJ
Frequent Contributor

I choose where to app in this order-

1) If there are SP prequalifiers, and I get a favorable message, I app through that portal.  That is how I apped for Discover, and BCP.

2) I search for the best offers, which I how I found the $100 for a $750 spend for  Barclays World Mastercard.

3) If I don't have the option of A or B, I choose an affilate (blogger or site like myFico) that I have gained information or help from in some way and give back a little by apping through them. That's how I apped with Chase.

That said, I have apped only 5 times, i think,  in the last several years, aside from CLIs...and all new apps were between July and and yesterday.  So I am not app happy, though I do have to restrain myself, because I get quite a rush at acceptances. 

WOW! EQ when I joined myFICO: 657. Ups and downs and a few bumps and bruises, but finally back over 700. Whew!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.