cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone apply for BOA credit cards anymore?

tag
ForMyBiz
Frequent Contributor

Re: Does anyone apply for BOA credit cards anymore?

I've been trying to get my foot in the door with this bank for months and they want nothing to do with me for whatever reason.  In fact, at the beginning of January I applied for their low-end BankAmericard and they countered with a secured card, which I find pretty silly given my profile.  I apped for their business card and got the same response.  I guess I'm giving up on them... oh well.  

Message 21 of 33
anonymous4a
New Contributor

I was just going to apply for a bankamericard travel rewards , thought it was pretty good..

Message 22 of 33
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

People certainly do apply for them.  I haven't because none of them suit my needs/wants.

Message 23 of 33
Joebunaga
New Contributor

I joined up with BoA on to see whether I would enjoy their banking services and applied for the BoA Rewards card(as an overlap card to pick up anything my Sallie Mae didn't cover for groceries or gas with its $250 limit on each). Service was and has been slow, getting the card took forever, CSRs I've dealt with have been 50/50 in the helpfulness/rude category. On top of that they are a BANK, and will try to nickle and dime you for everything. All in all I wouldn't recommend them, except that they have a couple of decent programs I'm taking advantage of. Cash rewards from the card get a 10% bonus if they are deposited into a BoA savings account. They also have a debit card program that pays you some change everytime you use a debit card that also rolls into a BoA savings. Which can help you build up a small nest egg over time without really noticing you're doing it. They happen to be conveniently located for me as well, but if it wasn't for the cash matching programs I'd probably not be doing much business with them(if Chase started similar programs I'd ditch BoA). The Fidelity Amex card is on my future want list, but thats about it.

I can't believe you like money too. We should hang out.

FICO(Barclay1\22\15) TU: 798 | FICO EX: 780 | FICO EQ(2\12\15):808 | In the Garden from 5/8/14 until ???
UFCU Visa $5k | Cap1 QS $10K | Jetblue Amex $18K | CSP $6.5K | Amex Green (NPSL) | Chase Freedom $18k | Sallie Mae WMC $15.5k| BoA 1-2-3 Visa $7.5k | Amex Everyday $16k | Amex Fidelity $10k |
Message 24 of 33
tld409
Regular Contributor

My experience with BOA continues to be great since opening account 02/13. My initial credit limit was 5k and now, I am at 20k. The rewards are great and I like the fact that balance tx can be done by direct deposit into your account. I am taking advantage of their 15 month 0% offer. Of course, there is a 3% fee per every 1k.
Starting Score 630 Score: Current FICO Scores: All above 725 (04/01/2015)
Sallie Mae World MC 9k; Chase Freedom 6.5k; CareCredit 13.2k; Amex BCP 21.8k;Amex PRG; BOA123 Visa Sig 20k; CapOne WMC 7.5K; CSP Visa Sig 2K; Citi Simp Visa 6.9k; CFCU Visa 17k; Discover IT 7K; JCP MC 8K; Macys Amex 7.5K/2k; PSECU Visa/PSL 20/20K; SamsClub MC 20k; Walmart 10k
Message 25 of 33
H4LO
Established Contributor

I had BOA checking and savings accounts for a long time. Tried for a BOA credit card and was always denied. 

I don't even bother with them anymore. Moved to USAA and never looked back.

Total CL - 60K // Util. ~1.6%

772 TU - 6/5 ///// 705 EX - 5/5 ///// 664 EQ - 4/29
Message 26 of 33
chwebb1
Established Contributor

In my experience, BoA's customer service leaves some to be desired. Their phone reps just don't seem to be able to do anything. When I've had issues logging into their site (not a password reset) multiple times, they've bounced me from rep to rep. When I called to make sure auto-pay was set up correctly, they told me to look online myself (thanks!). I'm just not particularly impressed with them so far. My daily spenders are my AMEX, Discover and Citi cards. I've had much better experiences with them. Although I have to say that I also like Barclays a lot too. I still plan to keep my BoA card for the free $120/yr, but I don't think that I'd use them as a daily spender (they'll just get my phone bill).

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 27 of 33
Lilsnukems
Valued Member

I like BOA and have been with them for 6+ yrs. I have the Cash Rewards and Better Balance rewards cards. Both of them have the lowest APR of the 6 credit cards I own (9.90%) so I'm not complaining. Both cards also have 10K CLs and I've never had an issue with their customer service. I have cards with better rewrads, Iike the AMEX BCP and Discover It so I don't use my BOA cards too often, but it's my go to card if I'm planning to carry a balance over to the next month because of the low APR.

TU FICO: 744 (updated 1/2014) , VantageScore: 760 (updated 7/19/13)
51.5K Total limit with 12.36% utilization, Income 44K
BOA Better Balance Rewards: 10K, CapOne: 5K, BOA Cash Rewards: 10K, Discover It: 8.2K, 1FBUSA: 8.3K, AMEX BCP: 10K
Goals: 800+ FICO score, minimum 10K credit limit on all cards
Message 28 of 33
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I've been banking with them for nine years and have 3 accounts with them. 

I applied for 3 of their cards in 2012 for the points (Hawaiian Airlinesx2 and Virgin Atlantic).  When I called a year later to cancel one of them the rep was trying to push me for a loan. I told her I wasn't interested and she said, in my opinion, in a degrading manner, "Well you have $xxxxx in debt I see from your credit report..."  I didn't bother telling her I  just transferred a timeshare balance to some cards recently.  She was completely unprofessional.

My ATM card got sucked up in their machine one day and the last time that happened I could just walk into the bank and get it back.  The most recent time it happened on a weekend.  I called he 800 number and they insisted I can't get it from the bank so they canceled the card.  I walked into my local branch on Monday and they said, oh you didn't have to do that...we have your card right here!  Frustrating.

I formerly worked in the same plaza as my local branch and they were constantly coming in to persuade my employees to switch to BofA.  Then they would leave tons of literature and ask me to try to get my employees to switch to them and that they would come back soon to see how I made out.  It would be okay if this was once or twice but they did it constantly.  I won't even get into how many times they've tried to get me, in person, to try their credit cards and apply for home loans even though I already had a home loan. 

Lastly, none of their cards now interest me.  Even the 123 card (or whatever it's called), I told them I use the Amex BCP and the guy yelled out, but ours doesn't have an AF!  I just told him I was happy with the cards I have.

Oh one more, I have 3 accounts with them and one is an e-account where you won't get charged if you do everything online or at their ATM.  Well one time their ATM was broken and I walked in to conduct my business inside.  They swore up and down I wouldn't get charged a fee for doing an "in-bank" transaction.  Well they were wrong and I had to call the number just to get it straightened out.  They did me a "one-time courtesy" - yeah right, YOUR machine was broken.

Oh, another time, we had their personal bank number at work since that is where my employment does their banking (night deposits, etc.).  Sometimes we would call each other with a discrepancy.  Well an employee misplaced their number and I called the 800 number to get it and they absolutely refused to give it to me and said they could help me instead (they couldn't).

I still have my 3 accounts with them but to me, they are a constant source of frustration. 

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 29 of 33
Weights
Regular Contributor

@clocktick wrote:

I've been banking with them for nine years and have 3 accounts with them. 

I applied for 3 of their cards in 2012 for the points (Hawaiian Airlinesx2 and Virgin Atlantic).  When I called a year later to cancel one of them the rep was trying to push me for a loan. I told her I wasn't interested and she said, in my opinion, in a degrading manner, "Well you have $xxxxx in debt I see from your credit report..."  I didn't bother telling her I  just transferred a timeshare balance to some cards recently.  She was completely unprofessional.

My ATM card got sucked up in their machine one day and the last time that happened I could just walk into the bank and get it back.  The most recent time it happened on a weekend.  I called he 800 number and they insisted I can't get it from the bank so they canceled the card.  I walked into my local branch on Monday and they said, oh you didn't have to do that...we have your card right here!  Frustrating.

I formerly worked in the same plaza as my local branch and they were constantly coming in to persuade my employees to switch to BofA.  Then they would leave tons of literature and ask me to try to get my employees to switch to them and that they would come back soon to see how I made out.  It would be okay if this was once or twice but they did it constantly.  I won't even get into how many times they've tried to get me, in person, to try their credit cards and apply for home loans even though I already had a home loan. 

Lastly, none of their cards now interest me.  Even the 123 card (or whatever it's called), I told them I use the Amex BCP and the guy yelled out, but ours doesn't have an AF!  I just told him I was happy with the cards I have.

Oh one more, I have 3 accounts with them and one is an e-account where you won't get charged if you do everything online or at their ATM.  Well one time their ATM was broken and I walked in to conduct my business inside.  They swore up and down I wouldn't get charged a fee for doing an "in-bank" transaction.  Well they were wrong and I had to call the number just to get it straightened out.  They did me a "one-time courtesy" - yeah right, YOUR machine was broken.

Oh, another time, we had their personal bank number at work since that is where my employment does their banking (night deposits, etc.).  Sometimes we would call each other with a discrepancy.  Well an employee misplaced their number and I called the 800 number to get it and they absolutely refused to give it to me and said they could help me instead (they couldn't).

I still have my 3 accounts with them but to me, they are a constant source of frustration. 

This experience doesn't surprise me, and is along the lines of what others I know have experienced as stated in my earlier post.  If you really want to see just how bad BOA can be at times, I've included the link to a story that details unbeliveably incompetent and poor service.

http://consumerist.com/2012/11/26/bank-of-america-is-really-good-at-losing-documents-really-bad-at-b...

Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.