Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone do this? (Wyndham Visa)

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Does anyone do this? (Wyndham Visa)

When I read praise for the Barclaycard Wyndham Visa, people seem to focus on the "Go Fast" option (paying with a mix of points and cash) for hotels that might otherwise cost ~$100.

I bought 30k Wyndham points from USTA at 1 cpp. I go into NYC a lot and can use them for two "Go Free" award nights in Manhattan during convention season (when a basic Holiday Inn room might cost $300 or more some nights, and many chains limit award availability). That might be an extreme case, but after adjusting for taxes and the fact that very few Wyndham properties are ever subject to blackouts, 2 or 3 cpp seems very possible.

Barclaycard isn't really known for great benefits or customer service, but the Wyndham Visa's effective rewards earn rate at 2 points per $1 can be attractive...

So I wonder...does anyone here use a Wyndham card heavily, and then redeem the rewards for "Go Free" travel at $300+ hotels? If you look the amount of off-category spending necessary for a free room in an expensive area, Wyndham requires considerably less than IHG/Marriott/Hilton...even Hyatt and SPG.

I'm not rushing to app for a card, though, unless the 15k renewal offer returns.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
astrangerwcandy
Contributor

Re: Does anyone do this? (Wyndham Visa)

I use it both ways. It's really a great hotel card now IMO.

Message 2 of 4
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

I was excited when I got approved for the Wyndham card, but in hindsight it really isn't a good fit for me.  It has taken me FOREVER to figure out a way to use my bonus points.  Every Wyndham property I find is a trashy low end property that I really don't want to stay at.  We finally bit the bullet and bocked a room at Microtel in Pigeon Forge for early June just so I could get rid of the points.  I didn't even go for the second night.  We booked a room at the Hampton for the rest of the trip.

I'm probably going to close mine out sooner rather than later because I simply can't stomach the Wyndham properties in the places I travel frequently.

Message 3 of 4
astrangerwcandy
Contributor

Yeah it def depends on where you stay. I got a Wyndham near The Bund in Shanghai for $30/night with 3000 point spend. I also stay in places like Orlando a lot where you can get nicer Wyndham properties for more reasonable rates due to the competition. It's not for everyone, but 15000 points for a night at a high end Wyndham property is a good deal.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.