cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone else have a Paypal Smartconnect account, and is it working?

tag
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

Does anyone else have a Paypal Smartconnect account, and is it working?

A few days ago I made an Ebay purchase and paid for it via paypal; usually I am given a choice as to payment methods (and I typically chose the Smartconnect account and pay it back later) but this time, suspiciously, it went through without any option being given.  It was weird the way they just confirmed that i had paid and was done with the transaction.

Sure enough, within 12 hours (it's amazing how fast they are) they had debited my bank account.  I mean, on my bank's website, Paypal had snatched the money just a few hours after I completed this transaction, which was at about 10PM, and early the next morning, the money was gone, leaving me a negative bank account balance.

I drove to the bank, deposited cash, and everything's OK with the bank (if they later charge me a fee I'll fight it and win, I'm sure.)  So while this was an annoyance, I"m more interested now in viewing my Smartconnect account but the spinning thing just goes around and it says "unable to view your account at this time.  Please try again in a few moments."  And it has said this for days now.  The paypal account itself is viewable.  Anyone else having problems logging in to their Smartconnect account?

maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Re: Does anyone else have a Paypal Smartconnect account, and is it working?

Paypal is weird.

It seems they did an INSTANT transfer rather than charge your credit card. Usually they ask you which option you'd like.

Anyway I am stirring clear of ebay, paypal and bill me later. I recently closed all these accounts due to the company's sneaky practices. Never again.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 2 of 5
Juan123
Established Contributor

Not all merchants accept paypal smart connect accounts. if it didn't automatically debit your smart connect account (which is automatically set as preferred option) it's because the person\merchant you were buying from specifically decided to not allow payment through smart connect credit cards.

Also, i'm having issues getting into my smartconnect account also but i can still use it.

Starting Score: 575 (As Of Early 2011)
Current Score: TU: 767 EQ: 732 EX; 742 (As Of Feb 2012)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Long way to go ^_^
Message 3 of 5
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

Hmm... Juan, I thought that once you pay with Paypal, how you pay them is Paypal's concern, not that of the person you bought merchandise from on Ebay.  That's the way I understand it, anyway.  I think what happened is that since Smartconnect is down, Paypal just routed it to my only other known payment method, which is my bank account (I also have some credit cards on file.)  Normally they default it to my Smartconnect and I have to jump through hoops to override that.  Apparently bank account is the next-in-line default.

Valued Contributor

@Juan123 wrote:

Not all merchants accept paypal smart connect accounts. if it didn't automatically debit your smart connect account (which is automatically set as preferred option) it's because the person\merchant you were buying from specifically decided to not allow payment through smart connect credit cards.

Also, i'm having issues getting into my smartconnect account also but i can still use it.

That's weird because I thought Smart Connect was a credit card. You are paying the merchant through Paypal and Paypal converts the payment to the merchant in the form of a deposit into their Paypal...I don't see why they wouldn't accept a credit card.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.