cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone else plan stuff based on Discover Reward dates?!

tag
homerunstacy
Regular Contributor

Does anyone else plan stuff based on Discover Reward dates?!

I was just looking at the Discover Rewards.  This past month put materials on it to build a deck.  Made sure we started the project the same month as the rewards qualified. Then I went to the rewards page to see what was next....    Taking my father out for his birthday to our fav Greek place but actually pushing that to June 1st to get my rewards. HAHA... Just thought it was kinda funny how I am planning life around Discover Rewards.  Most importantly making sure I am able to PIF each month regardless of what I charge.  My credit score has been consistently heading up up up these days.  

*Bought 1st Home on 7/11/07 thanks to myFICO Forums*

4/2013 - FICO: 685
Payment History: Great
Amt of Debt: Not Good
Length: Good
Amt of New Credit: Good

Goal for 2013: Pay down debt! Cross fingers housing market turns around so I can move further south!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Travis-84
Regular Contributor

Re: Does anyone else plan stuff based on Discover Reward dates?!

Thats not to bad of an idea.  When you get 5% back on gas purchases, you could buy a gift card that would be big enough to last you until the next time 5% came back on that catagory.

If its 5% on groceries, you could buy gift cards for other stores, if you were going there anyway (at least my grocery store sells gift cards). 

Think of the possibilities.

Message 2 of 11
homerunstacy
Regular Contributor

Too bad Discover Card caps limitations on 5% rewards --  i.e. Home Improvements are only up to $400.00.

Online shopping branching from Discover or BOA websites to merchant sites has helped me too.  I never go directly to a website these days if I plan to use either

of these CC's.   That combined with surfing online coupon codes like retailmenot, etc adds up to more savings.  

Goal for 2013: Pay down debt! Cross fingers housing market turns around so I can move further south!

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I was going to make the purchase anyway then I pick this card over my others and I PIF every month. If they did not have the 3K tier to reach 1% cash back I would use this as my primary card.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually,  I'm sort of the exact opposite.  I completely ignore the rewards and make my purchasing and payment method decisions on non-rewards-related criteria.  Somehow I don't like "rewards".  No doubt I've missed out on some good deals.  In fact, my Discover card says I have $31.86 in rewards.  Not quite sure how to claim it.

Message 5 of 11
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Actually,  I'm sort of the exact opposite.  I completely ignore the rewards and make my purchasing and payment method decisions on non-rewards-related criteria.  Somehow I don't like "rewards".  No doubt I've missed out on some good deals.  In fact, my Discover card says I have $31.86 in rewards.  Not quite sure how to claim it.

You can't until it reaches $50.

Message 6 of 11
homerunstacy
Regular Contributor

They have $25 gift cards you can purchase for merchants(ie- bed, bath and beyond,   amc, starting at 20  but for statement credit or check it is 50,

Log in online to your discover account, go to the rewards tab, you should see them under there and can claim right from there.

Message 7 of 11
larrylock
Valued Member

I know the rewards aren't much from Discover but I do plan my purchases around them.

Being new to Discover I recently made a significant purchase at Lowe's thinking that I was going to receive rewards, but soon realized thereafter that the rewards period had not started yet.  I had remembered that I signed up for the rewards period but forgot that they let you do that a month ahead of rewards period. Smiley Sad  I've more than made up for it this month though.

Starting Score: EQ 550 TU 551
Current Score: EQ 828 TU 833 EX 832
Mortgage Scores: EQ 795 TU 780 EX 778
Goal Score: EQ 720 TU 730 (Time for new goals!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 11
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@homerunstacy wrote:

They have $25 gift cards you can purchase for merchants(ie- bed, bath and beyond,   amc, starting at 20  but for statement credit or check it is 50,

Log in online to your discover account, go to the rewards tab, you should see them under there and can claim right from there.

I stand corrected. Smiley Happy  I've never redeemed the rewards for anything except cash or account credit.

From a BK years ago to:

9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
4/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 9 of 11
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

I wish I had a Discover; the only way I can relate is that I have put a lot on "groceries and dining" on my Old Navy VISA this month for some promise of triple points during May that I vaguely remember but can't find proof of anymore.  I guess I will be able to buy one of the kids a pair of jeans or something with the rewards.  Smiley Happy

But if I can't pay the balance off I may pay in interest the same amount the jeans were worth.  Smiley Mad

Smiley Wink