cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone have or applied for a Marriott Rewards credit card from Chase?

tag
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Does anyone have or applied for a Marriott Rewards credit card from Chase?

@sunkissed wrote:

I just got the Marriott card last fall.  If you plan to stay at Marriott, this is a good card to have in your wallet.  This is NOT a good general spend card.  If you have not settled on a hotel to be loyal to, you may want to look around at what the other chains offer.  The Marriott card will give you silver status.  If you do not stay at Marriott often, it will be very difficult to get to gold status.  Additionally, there are few good benefits at silver.

The above is a pretty good summary in my opinion. If you stay at Marriott's frequently, you should absolutely have this card. Or get it if you want the annual free night, which is worth more than the AF. However, general spend (and even spend on this card's 2X categories) is not a very good value.

Message 11 of 13
CWL
Established Member

I have the card because I like Marriott brands.......after a few months with it i realize id rather spend and earn versitile points on AMEX or CSP . Silver stat gives little. Im going to try to move my CL to CSP.

"http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/2760iB9166C1A493A3CBC" border="0"
Starting FICO (EQ) (1/7/13) - 567 6/11/14 - 670 = Goal - 750
Cap 1 QS1 $2300 I AMEX PRG NPSL I Marriott Prem rewards $5K I AMEX Everyday Pref $1K I CSP $5K
NO DEBT / 8% UTILIZATION
Message 12 of 13
red259
Super Contributor

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@sunkissed wrote:

I just got the Marriott card last fall.  If you plan to stay at Marriott, this is a good card to have in your wallet.  This is NOT a good general spend card.  If you have not settled on a hotel to be loyal to, you may want to look around at what the other chains offer.  The Marriott card will give you silver status.  If you do not stay at Marriott often, it will be very difficult to get to gold status.  Additionally, there are few good benefits at silver.

The above is a pretty good summary in my opinion. If you stay at Marriott's frequently, you should absolutely have this card. Or get it if you want the annual free night, which is worth more than the AF. However, general spend (and even spend on this card's 2X categories) is not a very good value.

They key point is if you stay at Marriott frequently. The free night is capped at a specific category, so you need to look and see if you can use your free night at the properties/destinations you want to. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.