cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone really consider Cap1 a Prime Lender?

tag
HiLine
Blogger

Re: Does anyone really consider Cap1 a Prime Lender?

Is this a serious question? Smiley Indifferent

A prime lender is one that extends you credit only if you have a good credit history.

Niow ask yourself this:

Does Cap One give you a credit card when you just filed for chapter 7 and got denied from just about any other creditor?

Exactly.

Message 31 of 43
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

Is this a serious question? Smiley Indifferent

A prime lender is one that extends you credit only if you have a good credit history.

Niow ask yourself this:

Does Cap One give you a credit card when you just filed for chapter 7 and got denied from just about any other creditor?

Exactly.

They don't give the Venture cards under those circumstances!

Like many other lenders, they have a variety of lines. I know CapOne is mostly known for the lower ones. But that doesn't mean that CapOne is therefore absolutely a sub-prime lender and nothing else.

Message 32 of 43
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

I know FP and Credit One will give you a unsecured card right out of BK. but I'm not so sure you can say the same thing about Capital One. Usually, you have to wait a year or so after BK (sometimes longer) for a Cap1 unsecured card...especially the Cash Rewards version.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 33 of 43
myjourney
Super Contributor

IMO cap1 is prime lender

When I think sub prime I see all the outstanding things associated with a sub prime card monthly fees, super high interest rates, interest charges the minute you swipe the card for something etc etc .....They have none of those type cards.

Cap1 has tiered cards like every other lender. All lenders seem to have a card or 2 that are easier to be approved for. Are those cards by the so called prime lenders sub prime....Hummm think about it? Lol

Cap1 just seem to have more of them than others.

If not for this policy how many of us could say the door to those so called prime cards would have ever been opened hummm I wonder? IMHOSmiley Wink

For discussion purposes and some may not know CAP1 is actually 1 of the top 5 credit card issuers. Some rank them ahead of discover some behind either way lets split the difference and say top 6.

So had CAP1 not extended credit to so many of us without charging us ridiculous fee and interest the minute you swiped it.. Would you have a so called prime card now? I doubt it!

Yes you have to work for a CLI by way of EO but that's an interesting concept coming from a small business owner I'll be honest.

If I gave out raises every time I was asked my business would not grow and probably fold. So in a business aspect I understand the thinking. Give the raise to those that work the hardest in our case MyFico knowledgeable and again from a business aspect smart move CAP1. 

Let's just say that 30% of CAP1 customer know the secret how to make them some me the $

70% don't ....I take those profits and acquire another asset HBSC/Orchard and extend more credit to those that deserve a 2nd or 3rd chance to build a solid credit history and a path to financial freedom.

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 34 of 43
Open123
Super Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

If not for this policy how many of us could say the door to those so called prime cards would have ever been opened hummm I wonder? IMHOSmiley Wink

Unlike some other banks, Capital One was first a subprime bank who built its business foundation with those who had a troubled credit history, which is why even now, they're associated with that lower credit card holders.  They've certainly improved significantly over the years, especially with their Venture line; but, at times, they still have the feel of a company built on restraints imposed on its cardholders.

However, I do agree with you on your point.  After my misadventures in college with a troubled credit history, Cap One was the only company who would give me credit after my first job.  Funny, but even now, I'm still thankful to them for the approval so many years ago; even to this day, I maintain a bank account with them and have one of their cards, and likely always shall, eventhough I'll be the first to observe they have no cards I'd consider "best in class."  Before the influx of non-forex cards, Cap One was one of my cards of choice when abroad.

However, unlike many here, I've never had some of the issues often associated with Cap One's service.  I've never been disappointed nor let down by them enough to build the kind of vitriol I've seen and read about them here and on other boards.  

Message 35 of 43
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Unlike some other banks, Capital One was first a subprime bank who built its business foundation with those with a troubled credit history, which is why even now, they're associated with that lower credit card holders.  They've certain improved significantly over the years, especially with their Venture line; but, at times, they still have the feel of a company build on restraints imposed on its cardholders.

However, I do agree with you on your point.  After my misadventures in college with a troubled credit history, Cap One was the only company who would give me credit after my first job.  Funny, but even now, I'm still thankful to them for the approval so many years ago; even to this day, I maintain a bank account with them and have one of their cards, and likely always shall, eventhough I'll be the first to observe they have no cards I'd consider "best in class."  Before the influx of non-forex cards, Cap One was one of my cards of choice when abroad.

However, unlike many here, I've never had some of the issues often associated with Cap One's service.  I've never been disappointed nor let down by them to build the kind of vitriol I've seen and read about them here and on other boards.  

I too am thankful and will always keep a CAP1 just because they were there when i needed a re-start so to speak...Smiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 36 of 43
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Very good posts about Cap1 that I'm reading. I agree 100%. Capital One's customer service has been great to me but I also haven't called to haggle them about CLIs either because I already know it is a dead end. When I'm ready, I will contact the EO.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 37 of 43
markhs777
Regular Contributor

Ego aside, does it really matter if I fill my gas tank with a Venture card or a or Amex plat?
Message 38 of 43
HiLine
Blogger

@markhs777 wrote:
Ego aside, does it really matter if I fill my gas tank with a Venture card or a or Amex plat?

What does ego have to do with filling your gas tank? Man Surprised

Message 39 of 43
markhs777
Regular Contributor

Of course there are some people that get a smug feeling when handing over a " prestige card" to a clerk.
Message 40 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.