cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does being a credit card guarantor result in a hard pull?

tag
Nadar
Established Member

Does being a credit card guarantor result in a hard pull?

I have no credit history and was denied a BoFA student card. I was given an option to get a guarantor so that it can be reconsidered. 

My guarantor, a good friend of mine, is worried if this would result in a hard pull  for him thereby affecting his score. Is this true?

Also does anyone know if BoFA usually sucessfully recons after getting a good guarantor?

Your thoughts please....

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Does being a credit card guarantor result in a hard pull?

They will pull the credit of the potential guarantor-hard pull.
Message 2 of 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

+1  Yes, they will get a HP.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 5
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Your friend will become liable for the account.

The account will report on your friends report, so if you have a high balance relative to the limit. You will mess with their credit even if you pay your bill on time.

A bit risky for your friend.

And yes, they will get hard pulled. It is as if they are applying.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 4 of 5
Nadar
Established Member

Thanks for all your replies.

Actually the guarantor is a good friend of mine since 10 years. I intend to use the credit card mainly for building up my credit score. I am really not interested in a secured card because of the AF and also the deposit I have to make. Although the AF is not a big amount, the very thought of spending money for a credit card and having my money sit idly with the bank freaks me out.

I Just called up BoFA and the credit analyst was like though they will do a hard oull for my friend, it will appear in his credit report as though he is a guarantor for a credit line and not as if the credit line belongs to him. Also they told that the guarantor is removed in 12 months with good payment history.  

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.