cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does cash back at grocery stores count towards the 5% cashback with Discover?

tag
Ortz33__
Frequent Contributor

Does cash back at grocery stores count towards the 5% cashback with Discover?

It's grocery month!  Yay.  lol. Does getting cashback count at a grocery store?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Mike360
Frequent Contributor

Re: Does cash back at grocery stores count towards the 5% cashback with Discover?

Message 2 of 11
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Does cash back at grocery stores count towards the 5% cashback with Discover?

When I got cash back at the Dollar General (yes I am not afraid to admit I shop there) it charged it as a cash advance... seperate from the $3 purchase.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 11
frogfan12
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
When I got cash back at the Dollar General (yes I am not afraid to admit I shop there) it charged it as a cash advance... seperate from the $3 purchase.

I love DG!

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 4 of 11
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

You will not get the 5% on the cash back - but you also do not pay the cash advance interest rate. It goes against your regular purchase rate. I often use it as a substitute for going to the bank with the debit card. I do PIF on Discover so even the interest rate variable wouldn't matter, but I noted that for those who do carry a balance.Smiley Wink

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 11
john398
Senior Contributor

Is the limit usually $100 on these cash back? as a new discover card holder I am curious

Message 6 of 11
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

I believe the limit is different among different merchants. I'm pretty sure you can hunt around Discover's website and find it. I know in my case the grocery store screen pops up and offers me cash back up to $60.00. I haven't paid close attention at others, most purchases are gas and restaurants. They do not offer the option. I know Wal-Mart does.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 11
john398
Senior Contributor

I guess Target  doesn't allow cashback because when I swiped my card it did not give me the option for cash back or even to sign which I thought was odd

Anyway it did show up as Groceries for Target even though I bought some shavers

Message 8 of 11
Ortz33__
Frequent Contributor

i think it is different among each grocery store.  i went to a king's and they allowed a max of $30

Message 9 of 11
frogfan12
Established Contributor

@john398 wrote:

I guess Target  doesn't allow cashback because when I swiped my card it did not give me the option for cash back or even to sign which I thought was odd

Anyway it did show up as Groceries for Target even though I bought some shavers

Target has been doing that to me as of late. I wonder why they're not asking for signatures any more on certain purchases.

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.