Frequent Contributor
Ortz33__

Does cash back at grocery stores count towards the 5% cashback with Discover?

It's grocery month!  Yay.  lol. Does getting cashback count at a grocery store?

Frequent Contributor
Mike360

Re: Does cash back at grocery stores count towards the 5% cashback with Discover?

https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/cashback-bonus/cashback-calendar.html
~~In my wallet: Best Buy $7500, Dell Preferred $5500, Discover IT $4000, Chase Freedom $3500, Barclays NFL Extra Points $3300, Sears $2800, Bill Me Later $2100, CapOne Platinum $2000, Kohls $1500, Target $200
Moderator Emeritus
webhopper

Re: Does cash back at grocery stores count towards the 5% cashback with Discover?

When I got cash back at the Dollar General (yes I am not afraid to admit I shop there) it charged it as a cash advance... seperate from the $3 purchase.

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
frogfan12

webhopper wrote:
When I got cash back at the Dollar General (yes I am not afraid to admit I shop there) it charged it as a cash advance... seperate from the $3 purchase.

I love DG!

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Community Leader
Valued Contributor
HoldingOntoHope

You will not get the 5% on the cash back - but you also do not pay the cash advance interest rate. It goes against your regular purchase rate. I often use it as a substitute for going to the bank with the debit card. I do PIF on Discover so even the interest rate variable wouldn't matter, but I noted that for those who do carry a balance.:smileywink:

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Senior Contributor
john398

Is the limit usually $100 on these cash back? as a new discover card holder I am curious

Community Leader
Valued Contributor
HoldingOntoHope

I believe the limit is different among different merchants. I'm pretty sure you can hunt around Discover's website and find it. I know in my case the grocery store screen pops up and offers me cash back up to $60.00. I haven't paid close attention at others, most purchases are gas and restaurants. They do not offer the option. I know Wal-Mart does.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Senior Contributor
john398

I guess Target  doesn't allow cashback because when I swiped my card it did not give me the option for cash back or even to sign which I thought was odd

Anyway it did show up as Groceries for Target even though I bought some shavers

Frequent Contributor
Ortz33__

i think it is different among each grocery store.  i went to a king's and they allowed a max of $30

Established Contributor
frogfan12

john398 wrote:

I guess Target  doesn't allow cashback because when I swiped my card it did not give me the option for cash back or even to sign which I thought was odd

Anyway it did show up as Groceries for Target even though I bought some shavers

Target has been doing that to me as of late. I wonder why they're not asking for signatures any more on certain purchases.

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}