cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does combining 2 cap one cards do anything major to your credit, negatively that is

tag
Sixburgh79
New Contributor

Does combining 2 cap one cards do anything major to your credit, negatively that is

I mean I can't see a reason why it would, but with credit you never know... Maybe creditors think only a was weakling does that or something lol but I have a quicksilver and another cap card and and I might consider seeing if they would, do many of you do this?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
marmaladepie
Regular Contributor

Re: Does combining 2 cap one cards do anything major to your credit, negatively that is

I just did this recently. They have stingy w increases for 8 years. One was 2800 CL and the other wa 7k. Moved the 7k to the other one and then closed it (it was newer of the two anyway). This closure hasn’t hit the CRAs yet so I can update when it does. Hoping one CL of 9800 will look better to lenders in the future than two smaller limits.
Message 2 of 5
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Does combining 2 cap one cards do anything major to your credit, negatively that is

I've seen no negative affects from consolidations. I have combined 7 CCs between Capitol One and Chase. You'll be fine.
Message 3 of 5
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

The closed card will eventually drop from your credit report. While closed accounts occasionally drop earlier, you can figure that they'll likely remain on your report for 10 years or so.

While the closed account is present, it'll continue to contribute to your account age stats. In most cases, that's a positive.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio wrote:

The closed card will eventually drop from your credit report. While closed accounts occasionally drop earlier, you can figure that they'll likely remain on your report for 10 years or so.

While the closed account is present, it'll continue to contribute to your account age stats. In most cases, that's a positive.

That’s good to know!! Closed my 2 First Premier accounts & just assumed they would drop off immediately & was a bit worried since 1 of them was my second oldest account. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.