cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does credit card debt affect recent auto loan?

tag
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

Re: Does credit card debt affect recent auto loan?

As others have already pointed out, this may feel like an easy, quick solution in the short term. However, if you consider that employers and landlords doing credit checks is fairly commonplace, you can see where this will come back to bit you HARD in the very near future.

Good luck, and I sincerely hope you take the specific advice you've been offered in this thread.
Message 31 of 44
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
OP this is coming from some close to your age bracket, I say that only because you say you are a full time studen. My first piece of advice to you would be to man/women up. You are in the beginning stages of your ACTUAL LIFE and you don't want to start it of by fu*king up and defaulting on an 11k credit card. You say that you can't keep up with the payment, but if I may ask what is the minimum payment required? Also if you ABSOLUTELY can't get rid of the car, use it to your advantage im almost 10000000% sure that you can walk into any franchised pizza joint and get a delivery job. It may not pay well but it's some form of income and you can use this income to pay down/the min payment on the 11k. Secondly, like everyone has said here, CALL THEM! They 9 times out of 10 ARE GOING TO WORK WITH YOU! Tell them the situation and I'm sure you two can work out a plan. And finally start cutting and selling things that you could do without for the time being. Cut Internet, downgrade phone, or sell stuff on eBay/Craigslist. Also you don't want to say "ef em" and default on this. Think about it for one second, say you default/file BK because it's convient for you right now and let say you get a job and get back on track for a bit. What if something else happens car breaks down and you need another or the car is totaled and insurance won't give you s#it, and you NEED your car to get to work. In most cases your going to have to finance, and guess what, if you have this defaulted 11k on your loan NO ONE is going to touch you. So now you're ass out, without a car and no way to get to work to make a living. Basically it's going to be a downhill slope if something like this indeed happens, and not just with a car but an apartment or house. There's nothing worse that having a need for financing or credit in a crucial time or situation and not being able to get it, trust me I've seen it first hand with friends and it's not fun, and at this point you'll be at the mercy of people or family for help.

^^^This is the best post ever....

Message 32 of 44
Fox342
New Contributor

@calibu0n wrote:
I can't sell the car because I need it for school and family. I commute 1 hour roundtrip everyday. Will the creditors really bring people to court for the amount of 5k or higher? Can I file bankruptcy and transfer my car to my relative to avoid asset seize?

To me this reveals a lot.  It sounds to me like you're looking for ways to GET OUT OF paying...not looking for ways TO pay.  What you have asked about...transferring assets to avoid losing them in BK is unethical and I think illegal.  And you're surprised that the creditors actually want the money back that they loaned you?  Yes, they will and SHOULD take you to court.  You borrowed the money when you needed or wanted it right?  Why do you think they would be ok with you not paying it back? 

You've been given some very good advice on here.  You borrowed the money, now find a way to pay it back.  If you can't afford to pay your bills then in my opinion you can't afford to be in school right now.  You can always go back to school and finish when you're in a better finanical situation.  So if you need to...drop out of school and get a full time job OR TWO...and pay your bills!  And like one poster brought up...I doubt if there's a pizza place that isn't hiring drivers...there are lot's of jobs you can do...you just have to go find them.

Learn to live within your means...or perferrably...well below your means.  If you have cable, cancel it...cell phone, cancel or get a cheaper plan....stop eating out, stop going out with your friends.  Budget your money.  You may need a car...but I don't know how much your current car is worth...so you may not need THAT car.  You can get a pretty reliable car for pretty cheap nowadays.  A lot of people that I see get into financial trouble have cars that are way more expensive than what they need...but many of them want to claim BK and avoid paying their bills so they can keep their nice car.  Cars come and go...you can always get a better one later.

Take the advice that people on here are giving you...you CAN get through this without filing BK or defaulting.  You just have to WANT TO.

Fox

"The borrower is slave to the lender."
(EQ: 820) (TU: 827) (EX: 815)
Message 33 of 44
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@Fox342 wrote:

If you can't afford to pay your bills then in my opinion you can't afford to be in school right now.  You can always go back to school and finish when you're in a better finanical situation.  So if you need to...drop out of school and get a full time job OR TWO...and pay your bills! 

Take the advice that people on here are giving you...you CAN get through this without filing BK or defaulting.  You just have to WANT TO.

Fox

This. Your priorities are backwards, OP. You'll be happier in the long run if you accept the adult responsibility of working and paying your debts. Don't count on a free ride.

Message 34 of 44
black_citi
Established Contributor

Let me tell my story.

Sometime in 2008 I got a Chase credit card with a 5k limit. I was still new at credit. I had one other CC with cap1 that had a $500 limit that I had for about a year.

Anywho, I didn't app for the Chase card (I can't remember what kind it was. I don't think freedom existed yet.) I got the card because I went to a Chase branch to open a savings account and while there the woman told me I was pre approved. Without even asking me whether I wanted the card she just automatically hit the submit button and got me approved. Yeah, I could have told her I didn't want it but I was young (about 22 or so) and the card had a 5k Limit! Lol.

For the first several months I managed the card well up until March 2009 when my 2006 Pontiac G6 got repoed. I hated that car so I really didn't care. This is where I got stupid. REALLY STUPID! I used that 5k Chase card to buy a used 1996 Chevy Lumina. I paid approximately 3k for the car and I already owed Chase 1k already. The car was junk (of course). Had 144k miles on it and i didn't have the thing for a full 24 hours before it broke down on me as I was on my way to work. Needed a new fuel pump. Luckily I was able to find an alley mechanic who installed a new one for 250. The dealer wanted about 800.

For the rest of the year the car ran fine (although I had no heat or a/c).

Around March 2010 the car devoloped more serious issues and to make matters worse I lost my job over the winter. By this time I was about $200 over the limit. They hadn't called at all until about mid march but I couldn't pay them since I had no car or job.

May 2010 a sherriff shows up to my house and hands me court papers. With interests and late fees the CC debt ballooned to approximately 6k even. I went to court but they couldn't sue since I didn't have a job. They told me to call immediately when I find one. I said "ok".

June 2010 I get a part time job at Fedex. You guessed it. I didn't call them. Nor did I in July or August. ArOund late August I went to my Chase bank account to check my checking account and noticed the numbers "12000" in parentheses. I called to see whats that about. They told me my accounts were frozen (checking and savings) and that 6k was doubled up. I didn't owe 12k, no, but that is just what happens, as they told me, when you owe debt. She said it will go away once I started paying.

My accounts were frozen a whole month and a week. They didnt unfreeze til October 8 2010 (yes I still remember the exact date lol). To make matters worse, during the time my accounts were frozen I was getting direct deposit from Fedex and couldn't touch none of THEIR money AND my grandma died in August of 2010 so you know I was a destroyed human being.

I agreed to pay em 130 a month for 5 years. Interestingly it was 0% interest. YES I PAID NO INTEREST. Normally It would have been 9% but I was blessed that day.

In March 2011 I found a better job then Fedex which I am still working at. In December 2012 I settled the account and they closed it out. I owed about 1700 but they settled for 1000.

I still like Chase and hope to do business with them again but if not I am happy with the cards I currently have. It was rough and I learned a lot but I could have still learned without going through so much. Do not let Pen Fed go into ddefault. Like everyone here said sell what you can and try to pay off that account as quickly as possible. It will save you a LOT of headaches. Trust me.
Make More, Spend Less
Message 35 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@black_citi wrote:
Let me tell my story.

Sometime in 2008 I got a Chase credit card with a 5k limit. I was still new at credit. I had one other CC with cap1 that had a $500 limit that I had for about a year.

Anywho, I didn't app for the Chase card (I can't remember what kind it was. I don't think freedom existed yet.) I got the card because I went to a Chase branch to open a savings account and while there the woman told me I was pre approved. Without even asking me whether I wanted the card she just automatically hit the submit button and got me approved. Yeah, I could have told her I didn't want it but I was young (about 22 or so) and the card had a 5k Limit! Lol.

For the first several months I managed the card well up until March 2009 when my 2006 Pontiac G6 got repoed. I hated that car so I really didn't care. This is where I got stupid. REALLY STUPID! I used that 5k Chase card to buy a used 1996 Chevy Lumina. I paid approximately 3k for the car and I already owed Chase 1k already. The car was junk (of course). Had 144k miles on it and i didn't have the thing for a full 24 hours before it broke down on me as I was on my way to work. Needed a new fuel pump. Luckily I was able to find an alley mechanic who installed a new one for 250. The dealer wanted about 800.

For the rest of the year the car ran fine (although I had no heat or a/c).

Around March 2010 the car devoloped more serious issues and to make matters worse I lost my job over the winter. By this time I was about $200 over the limit. They hadn't called at all until about mid march but I couldn't pay them since I had no car or job.

May 2010 a sherriff shows up to my house and hands me court papers. With interests and late fees the CC debt ballooned to approximately 6k even. I went to court but they couldn't sue since I didn't have a job. They told me to call immediately when I find one. I said "ok".

June 2010 I get a part time job at Fedex. You guessed it. I didn't call them. Nor did I in July or August. ArOund late August I went to my Chase bank account to check my checking account and noticed the numbers "12000" in parentheses. I called to see whats that about. They told me my accounts were frozen (checking and savings) and that 6k was doubled up. I didn't owe 12k, no, but that is just what happens, as they told me, when you owe debt. She said it will go away once I started paying.

My accounts were frozen a whole month and a week. They didnt unfreeze til October 8 2010 (yes I still remember the exact date lol). To make matters worse, during the time my accounts were frozen I was getting direct deposit from Fedex and couldn't touch none of THEIR money AND my grandma died in August of 2010 so you know I was a destroyed human being.

I agreed to pay em 130 a month for 5 years. Interestingly it was 0% interest. YES I PAID NO INTEREST. Normally It would have been 9% but I was blessed that day.

In March 2011 I found a better job then Fedex which I am still working at. In December 2012 I settled the account and they closed it out. I owed about 1700 but they settled for 1000.

I still like Chase and hope to do business with them again but if not I am happy with the cards I currently have. It was rough and I learned a lot but I could have still learned without going through so much. Do not let Pen Fed go into ddefault. Like everyone here said sell what you can and try to pay off that account as quickly as possible. It will save you a LOT of headaches. Trust me.

Wow. Thanks for sharing! Always amazed at the different struggles each of us have gone through to arrive where we are now. The "myFICO forums". 

Message 36 of 44
lincar66
Frequent Contributor

Also I will tell you credit unions are very generous and give out big limits but I will tell you they are VERY aggressive when you default they WILL chase you and take yu to court.

This is the reason I will do everything in my power to never default on my NAVY cad I have heard they are ferocious debt collectors 

Eq-670(dcu)ex-664 tu-693
NFCU Cash Rewards---8500k Joint Cash Rewards 2k NavCheck----15000 cap one 2500 cap one 2k synchrony furniture card 1500 walmart store card 6k walmart mastercard 6000 Firestone 1400 amazon 6k Lowes 12k serta 4k care credit 4800 rotman furniture card 1500 stash visa 2k bp visa 1500 PayPal MasterCard ????
Message 37 of 44
creditguy
Valued Contributor

I do not see how defaulting on a PenFed CC can affect your DCU auto loan, one lender has nothing to do with another. And transferring ownership of the car makes no sense if you continue to finance it in your name. Now I will not tell you any advice you haven't already read here, I however can tell you my experience. I was in my early twenties and got behind on some stuff and had the eff em attitude, what can they do? 

Well long story short I owed MBNA about $2,500 that when it was all said and done it became a $5,000 plus debt, which became a wage garnishment and oh yeah they took everything in my bank accounts, real fun. I panicked and grabbed the only life line I thought was available and that was BK. Yep Bk sure saved me, but did it really? absolutely not. I paid for that Bk with tremendously high interest rates from less than reputable lenders and I was lucky to get that. 

Sure you will see people on here get decent cards a short time after discharge, but you'll also see those same people shut out from certain cards and definitely shut out of the best terms. Like it or not BK is like a scarlet letter on your file for ten years. Ten years that's a decade of never being able to achieve the best possible scores until that mark comes off your reports. I no longer have that mark and am BK free and I sure am going to do whatever I have to do to never to get there again. BK is a long term solution to a short term problem. I realize now with a little age and a lot of credit education that there are options and the first one is to pick up the phone and call PenFed to find out your options. Don't ruin a relationship with a bank like PenFed and certainly don't ruin the credit it took to get a PenFed account. There are options please seek out all alternatives before doing anything drastic, life is short but bad credit marks are longer it seems, best of luck to you. 

Message 38 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ups77 wrote:

1 more thing they will garnish your wages up to 10%.

Correction... I do payroll and handle garnishments at my job. They will garnish 25% of your net income meaning, they will take 25% after taxes, insurance &401K is withheld. 

Message 39 of 44
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@lincar66 wrote:

Also I will tell you credit unions are very generous and give out big limits but I will tell you they are VERY aggressive when you default they WILL chase you and take yu to court.

This is the reason I will do everything in my power to never default on my NAVY cad I have heard they are ferocious debt collectors 

^^^This is so true. And, on top of being very aggressive, they cross collateralize everything. So if you have a savings, checking, auto loan and cc with the same CU and you default on one (say, the car loan for example), they tap the funds in your savings, checking and freeze your cc. It's all or nothing. BTDT (in 2008 too like one of the previous posters).

Message 40 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.