cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does everybody start with low limit cards?

tag
missjae
Established Contributor

Re: Does everybody start with low limit cards?

I started low, with the exception of when I first started college.  They handed me credit cards with no credit and gave me nice limits. I don't think they do that anymore though.  I wasn't very knowledgeable with credit cards when I started rebuilding.  It took forever to get more than a few hundred dollars.  If you follow the advice on here, you shouldn't have any problem getting the credit you desire.

A friend of mine had no credit at all.  I added him as an AU to a few of my accounts, and he was able to get his own cards, with limits higher than mine.

Message 11 of 54
drinkthekoolaid
Valued Member

I started off with a $1000 CC through USAA and from there it got better. Like other posters have already said, income, credit profile, and credit card issuers really dictate the credit limit. Once someone gets a high limit other CC companies will tend to follow if they see good payment history with that first high limit CC. 

AMEX BCE - $27,000 ~ Chase Sapphire Preferred VISA SIGNATURE- $24,000~ AMEX Platinum -$NPSL ~ Citi Diamond Preferred $10,000
USAA MASTERCARD - $10,000 Commerce Bank Visa $8,000~
USAA Student VISA - $1,000 ~ Chase Freedom - $500
Message 12 of 54
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

yes 

i started back in 2010 as a joint applicant on a best buy card. 2.5k instant with my mom. 

a month later i applied for a macys card 100 bucks. 

i didnt apply for anything until 2012. kohls 400 limit. i was like okay. 

then june/july came around and i found this site. 

Now i have an amex, a chase, card and 2 5k cards and that macys is at 3.5k

i put that i make 30k annually (this isnt including my bonuses) (starting last july)

keep buliding, garden. good things come too those who wait Smiley Wink good luck! this forum is filled with info. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 13 of 54
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

I walked into US Bank, asked for a $1000 secured credit card. They took the money out of my account, and presto a week later I had a card.

I used it lightly for exactly 1 year. No other applications, never had a loan, never had a mortgage, etc.

1 year later, applied and was given a $8,500 credit limit. Patience pays off. Score was 732. Score jumped to 742 due to having a second credit card and a vastly increased credit limit. Then, I started applying for cards...

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 14 of 54
trying_to_B_good
Contributor

@eddie84 wrote:

Walmart started me off with $100 CL! Smiley Mad   And this was back in '05.  I guess it was a lot back then?  Can't buy crap for a hundred bucks these days. lol

LOL!!!Smiley LOL I feel your pain!!! I guess it's per case, huh? Well wht is your limit now with wally world?

Message 15 of 54
trying_to_B_good
Contributor

that's an impressive starter card!  Yeah i don't think they are doing that anymore...lol.  I will take my limits with a grain of salt. It's a start, not the end! Higher limits ARE in my future.Robot Very Happy

Message 16 of 54
eddie84
Valued Contributor

@trying_to_B_good wrote:

@eddie84 wrote:

Walmart started me off with $100 CL! Smiley Mad   And this was back in '05.  I guess it was a lot back then?  Can't buy crap for a hundred bucks these days. lol

LOL!!!Smiley LOL I feel your pain!!! I guess it's per case, huh? Well wht is your limit now with wally world?

Nah, I didn't keep it.   I cancelled the card not long after.  That CL was a joke for me... even back in '05. lol Smiley Tongue

Message 17 of 54
Exonumist
Established Contributor

I agree with the general concensus that most people are started low. It's not like it matters as you can build it up FAST if you know how.

Message 18 of 54
myjourney
Super Contributor

My first 2 were 500 limits which IMHO is standard starting points in most cases. Which my AAoA was long I had some black marks in my file so I think Lenders viewed me as lets start small and see how it goes.

1 1/2 years later bigger starting limits and CLI's

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 19 of 54
bribro
Valued Contributor

I got my first card from Citibank (the Dividend card that I still have) way back in 2005 while I was in college; the initial limit was $500 as I recall. Citibank had a booth on campus where you could sign up and get a free T-shirt or something, so I figured why not.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 20 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.