cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does everybody start with low limit cards?

tag
drinkthekoolaid
Valued Member

Re: Does everybody start with low limit cards?

Dang bribro is that 150,000 on CL with just chase plus the Palladium?

AMEX BCE - $27,000 ~ Chase Sapphire Preferred VISA SIGNATURE- $24,000~ AMEX Platinum -$NPSL ~ Citi Diamond Preferred $10,000
USAA MASTERCARD - $10,000 Commerce Bank Visa $8,000~
USAA Student VISA - $1,000 ~ Chase Freedom - $500
Message 21 of 54
enharu
Super Contributor

Most people start with low limits. I started with a 700 WF unsecured card myself. I was opening a checking account and the banker suggested some "combo" package and I went along with it. Ended up with a savings, checkings, credit card and a free pony Smiley Very Happy

I've seen a few people start with >10k CLs. 

Most of those people either have rich parents, or they just never bothered getting CCs until they were already well established in their careers and finances. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 22 of 54
myjourney
Super Contributor

@enharu wrote:

Most people start with low limits. I started with a 700 WF unsecured card myself. I was opening a checking account and the banker suggested some "combo" package and I went along with it. Ended up with a savings, checkings, credit card and a free pony Smiley Very Happy

Most of those people either have rich parents, or they just never bothered getting CCs until they were already well established in their careers and finances. 

They gave you a pony now I know I got beat ...awwwh man Lol

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 23 of 54
bribro
Valued Contributor

@drinkthekoolaid wrote:

Dang bribro is that 150,000 on CL with just chase plus the Palladium?

Yes. I do my banking and investing through J.P. Morgan and fly United fairly often, so the Chase/Ultimate Rewards credit card platform is a perfect fit.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 24 of 54
drinkthekoolaid
Valued Member

Understandable, hiring? LOLSmiley Happy

AMEX BCE - $27,000 ~ Chase Sapphire Preferred VISA SIGNATURE- $24,000~ AMEX Platinum -$NPSL ~ Citi Diamond Preferred $10,000
USAA MASTERCARD - $10,000 Commerce Bank Visa $8,000~
USAA Student VISA - $1,000 ~ Chase Freedom - $500
Message 25 of 54
Kels

Do you belong to a credit union? They generally give out higher limits.

@trying_to_B_good wrote:

Hello all!.....and WAR EAGLE!

My question is this.  Did everybody here start with low limit cards and build up to the larger limit(ie$1,000+) cards, or did you just start getting the higher limit cards from the start?  You can see my cards listed at the bottom of this post.  The highest limit on these cards are the victoria's secret($500) and Total Rewards Visa($500).  The other cards vary from $300-$400 limits.  I know that PIF each month is key to CLI's. Does salary come into play with the limits issued, upon opening accts?  I recently got an offer from First Premier Bank(Smiley Sad) with a preapproved limit of $700, and I actually considered it becuase of the limit, itself. I hear that the cc companies look at your current limits and base their decision off of your current limits, or somewhere close(is that right?).  I did not take the offer, but should I? I have recieved some excellent advice from my friends here(creditaddictSmiley Wink) as to call credit solutions and my various other creditors and simply ask for the increases....which im still patiently waiting to do(i wanna get myself to a better place before i do). So did you guys have to work for those limits-or-did they come easy?

Thanks for y'alls time!!

AUBURN

Starting Score: 09/2012 635 EXP [myFICO]
683 EQ [myFICO] | 692 EXP [Lender] | 700 TRANS [Walmart FICO]

Current Scores are as of 08/2013: On my way to 700's. Too many Inquiries - In the GARDEN 08/2013
Message 26 of 54
enharu
Super Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@enharu wrote:

haha its one of those ridiculous soft toys they always give out.

They even used to had a chariot soft toy lol

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 27 of 54
Express
Frequent Contributor

@trying_to_B_good wrote:

Hello all!.....and WAR EAGLE!

My question is this.  Did everybody here start with low limit cards and build up to the larger limit(ie$1,000+) cards, or did you just start getting the higher limit cards from the start?  You can see my cards listed at the bottom of this post.  The highest limit on these cards are the victoria's secret($500) and Total Rewards Visa($500).  The other cards vary from $300-$400 limits.  I know that PIF each month is key to CLI's. Does salary come into play with the limits issued, upon opening accts?  I recently got an offer from First Premier Bank(Smiley Sad) with a preapproved limit of $700, and I actually considered it becuase of the limit, itself. I hear that the cc companies look at your current limits and base their decision off of your current limits, or somewhere close(is that right?).  I did not take the offer, but should I? I have recieved some excellent advice from my friends here(creditaddictSmiley Wink) as to call credit solutions and my various other creditors and simply ask for the increases....which im still patiently waiting to do(i wanna get myself to a better place before i do). So did you guys have to work for those limits-or-did they come easy?

Thanks for y'alls time!!

AUBURN

I think most of us did, I started with a Providian card with a CL of  500!  Smiley Sad

CL $408,200
Message 28 of 54
myjourney
Super Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@enharu wrote:

LOL

I would have taken the pony too in that case

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 29 of 54
enharu
Super Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@enharu wrote:

LOL

I would have taken the pony too in that case

I used to ask them for the soft toy whenever I walk into the branch. Sometimes they would give it to me, sometimes they wouldn't. 

If they gave it to me, I would give it to my dog, which will literally destroy the toy within 3hours........lol

Message 30 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.