cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does having a Major with a $5000 cl help...

tag
My_Fako
Established Contributor

Does having a Major with a $5000 cl help...

Does it help much with your other creditors ad's etc... Helping to grow your other cards faster. It's been 8 years since I had a decent cl... Back in 04 I was Pissed when my starting line were less than 10k.... Boy those where the days... 😆

Amex PRG NPSL I Chase Marriott $10k I Venture $15.3k I Amex BCE $10K I PNC 13K I Chase IHG $8.6k l Amazon $6k l Chase Hyatt 20k l US Bank Cash+ $13K I Barclays $12.6k I Venture $13k l Discover it $4.6k l Express Next $3.1k l Amex EverDay $15K l Cabelas 1k I Wayfair $17.1k I Walmart $8k l SG $9.8k l Target $3.6K I PP 2K l AU Shell Gas $900 opened in 1974 l Ex 704 Tu 698 Eq 667

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does having a Major with a $5000 cl help...

When you apply for a new card or ask for a CLI, often times other CLs are taken into consideration, so yes, it helps.

Exposure (available credit line vs income) can also negatively affect your ability to obtain more credit. But I am going to take a guess here and say that your exposure is fine with a few $5,000 CLs.

Message 2 of 10
My_Fako
Established Contributor

I think I'm a little above avg. 72k yr...  But it's sad my total cl's pathetic 13k... In need of some serious  miracle-grow for the garden or someone has one of  Jack's beans for my Garden! 

Amex PRG NPSL I Chase Marriott $10k I Venture $15.3k I Amex BCE $10K I PNC 13K I Chase IHG $8.6k l Amazon $6k l Chase Hyatt 20k l US Bank Cash+ $13K I Barclays $12.6k I Venture $13k l Discover it $4.6k l Express Next $3.1k l Amex EverDay $15K l Cabelas 1k I Wayfair $17.1k I Walmart $8k l SG $9.8k l Target $3.6K I PP 2K l AU Shell Gas $900 opened in 1974 l Ex 704 Tu 698 Eq 667

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My first high limit card was an $8k from NFCU. SLs before that were $1,500 and $300. After the NFCU card, every SL was an instant approval for $5k or more. I'm convinced my $8k from NFCU was the reason for the jump in SLs.
Message 4 of 10
ddemari
Super Contributor

Since creditors look a variety of things when approving you and setting the limit, they do look at other cards and their limits that you have successfully maintained. So if they see a 5 to 10k card limit you have had for a bit, I would
Think depending on the issuer and card, their limit could take into consideration the other higher limits you have with other lenders.
Message 5 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@My_Fako wrote:

Does it help much with your other creditors ad's etc... Helping to grow your other cards faster. It's been 8 years since I had a decent cl... Back in 04 I was Pissed when my starting line were less than 10k.... 

Not in and of itself.  Creditors don't simply match limits.  Limits factor into revolving utilization which itself factors into Amounts Owed

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

...but you cannot rely on one single thing like a $5K limit on a "major" (revolving credit is revolving credit).  Your entire credit profile and your income matter.  These are used by creditors to detemrine what you qualify for.

If you're not getting the limits you want then identify the deficiencies with your credit profile and work on them.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't start getting higher limits until I managed to grow existing cards. Anecdotally, it at least implies that having high limits begets other high limits. If having a high limit is important to you, you might try Amex (3x CLI) or one of the cards that are known to give high starting limits. However, I've also noticed that my existing limits have little to do with CLIs, so there is some mixed news in there.

Message 7 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I didn't start getting higher limits until I managed to grow existing cards. Anecdotally, it at least implies that having high limits begets other high limits. If having a high limit is important to you, you might try Amex (3x CLI) or one of the cards that are known to give high starting limits. However, I've also noticed that my existing limits have little to do with CLIs, so there is some mixed news in there.

But the confouding factor is that perhaps you could grow your cards because your report improved (even because some accounts became older), and as your report improved, your new cards got higher limits.

I think it's possible that the converse is true, a bank that would otherwise give you say a $10K limit sees you only have $1K cards, and so gives you less, but I just don't see how a UW that thinks that $2K is right, will give you $10K because you have other $10K cards.   They don't know the circumstances of those decisions by other creditors (perhaps the report was much better then) and they probably don't anyway want to take a risk just because Bank X appears to have done so.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

But the confouding factor is that perhaps you could grow your cards because your report improved (even because some accounts became older), and as your report improved, your new cards got higher limits.

I think it's possible that the converse is true, a bank that would otherwise give you say a $10K limit sees you only have $1K cards, and so gives you less, but I just don't see how a UW that thinks that $2K is right, will give you $10K because you have other $10K cards.   They don't know the circumstances of those decisions by other creditors (perhaps the report was much better then) and they probably don't anyway want to take a risk just because Bank X appears to have done so.

Yep, virtually impossible to disambiguate whether it's high limits begetting other high limits, or just multiple lenders responding similarly to the same factors on your reports.

My personal hunch is that it's a little of column A, a little of column B... I suspect there are lenders that don't like to be the first one to give you a longer leash, so to speak. And that makes some sense to me, given that I've known some people who did a fine job managing their credit when they only had a few cards with very low limits, but let things get out of control when limits were raised and they felt like they had more breathing room--it does happen, unfortunately. Other lenders might see granting higher limits as a way of gaining loyalty and encouraging you to put more spend on the card. But it could also be that they're all (or mostly) independent of one another, and we can't really tell the difference.

Message 9 of 10
My_Fako
Established Contributor

We'll should I combined my capital cards into a higher limit. Once I get this next increase... 

Cap1 $2750

Cap1 $1500 due for a Increase in 5 days... Score and report has gotten a lot better in the last 6 month's. 

Other majors, 

Barclays $1000

Discover it $1300

All paid off last month... 😃

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.