cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does having a checking account on the same bank will improve your chaces to get a card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does having a checking account on the same bank will improve your chaces to get a card?

For example,  given 2 persons with same score , income, history etc ( highly unlikely I know) will a person A will have more chances than person B  to get a credit card in a bank if person A has a checking account on that bank and and person B doesnt?

I have my full income in 1 checking account and I'm thinking if I should diversify the allocation in other accounts when I thought about this. Has anyone hear something like this?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does having a checking account on the same bank will improve your chaces to get a card?

I hear that it helps a lot. Especially if you got a decent amount in the account.

Message 2 of 20
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

Re: Does having a checking account on the same bank will improve your chaces to get a card?

It depends. If you actually use the account and run a substantial amount then yes, it will.

I was able to get my BoA card from $2k to $20k in 5 months because of my banking relationship of 8 years with 4 accounts.

Message 3 of 20
AzaleaB
Established Contributor

@DrZoidberg wrote:

It depends. If you actually use the account and run a substantial amount then yes, it will.

I was able to get my BoA card from $2k to $20k in 5 months because of my banking relationship of 8 years with 4 accounts.

Were these auto-CLIs? I have a 6 year history with BoA with 3 accounts and keep over over 30k in my accounts at any one time. I have a BoA 321 Visa siggy at $7500 for 6 months and no auto- CLI.

Starting Score: EX:570, 8/2011
Current
Scores(8/30/18):
EX08:850; EQ08:850,
TU08:847
Inqs(12 mo): EX/0, EQ/0, TU/0
Goal Scores: 800+
My Cards: BoA Rewards: 30K, Discover IT: 50K, Arrival : 13.3K, CDP: 30.1K, Amex PRG, Amex ED: 22.5K, Amex BCP: 20K, FU: 21K, CSR: 35K, Amazon Store: 20K, Macys:10K, Diners Club:40K
Message 4 of 20
dollar_bill
Regular Contributor

Call the rep and just ask... Say I was wondering why I haven't received an auto CLI? Based on her answer, ask about a CLI without a HP. Use some phone charm. Ask how they are doing, say things like it's another long day at the offfice, grinding the week away, etc... Soften em up some. They are people, and while the huge corp's they work for have parameters built in, there are still ways to ge things done outside of the what the computer screen says. You just need the right rep, right time, and wallah you're in. I find myself just disgusted lately with people working for companies who are flat out incompetent. It's annoying when I have to lead a person to an answer, because they don't know it and I do. I don't even work in their industry, I'm an oilfield rat, but most of the time I know the in's and out's of what is possible more than they do. I don't understand how these people can work in an industry and not have any relationships built to make things happen for their customers. If I were a customer rep answering the phone for a bank you can damn well bet i'd be calling underwriters and other decision makers when it was acceptible and building those networks so that when I make a request it goes through.

Message 5 of 20
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

it depends on the bank. 

i work for a bank and honestly most balances dont have any effect, unless you manually recon. 

ive seen a woman with over 200k get declined for a student loan (10k) for her grandson because her dti was too high. 

i have money at boa, but have never had a cc with them. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 6 of 20
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I bank with PNC and I can honestly say it sure helped me.  I have about $20,000 in my account and they upgraded me to a Signature card and gave me a nice limit too.  I was borderline approval them, but my account balance swayed them and even into a nice upgrade.  I had tried before to get a credit card with them before I transferred all my money into their bank.  They flat out denied me a year previous and the things that changed on my report should have made them still decilne then.  I had added many new accounts with others with lesser qualifications.  They are a more conservative bank than most.  So yeah, my relationship had an affect on it.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 7 of 20
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

I think it depnds on the bank, there is WF who will deny you an card because of no banking relationship 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I initially applied for the Chase Freedom card, I was denied because of lack of credit history. I was borderline and the rep implied that if I had had a banking relationship with them it would have put me over the line. 

I recon'd with EO anyway and was approved but the checking or savings account would have saved me the trouble. I like my current bank and not interested in changing just to get a CC.

Message 9 of 20
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

I agree that it depends on the bank. I think it helps a lot with Chase from what I read on this board, but I also think BoFA likes that as well, based on an experience with them from a few years ago. 

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.