cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does having a checking acct w/Chase improve odds of automatic approval for a CC?

tag
Kozmo
Frequent Contributor

Does having a checking acct w/Chase improve odds of automatic approval for a CC?

I planned on opening a checking account with chase soon for my wife and I as we got married earlier this year.

However, I also plan to app for CSP this week and wondered if its advantageous for me to open the checking now if it will help improve odds of an automatic approval on the CSP. I'm pretty confident I'll get approved anyways but it doesn't hurt to increase my odds beforehand.

I know it will help in the event I need to recon, but I'm obviously hoping to avoid that.

Thoughts?
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Does having a checking acct w/Chase improve odds of automatic approval for a CC?

Unless your deposits are significant, I would have to say no. And they would know only about your banking relationship on recon/manual review
Message 2 of 16
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

Re: Does having a checking acct w/Chase improve odds of automatic approval for a CC?

@Kozmo wrote:
I planned on opening a checking account with chase soon for my wife and I as we got married earlier this year.

However, I also plan to app for CSP this week and wondered if its advantageous for me to open the checking now if it will help improve odds of an automatic approval on the CSP. I'm pretty confident I'll get approved anyways but it doesn't hurt to increase my odds beforehand.

I know it will help in the event I need to recon, but I'm obviously hoping to avoid that.

Thoughts?

On a side note, there are still offers out there where chase will PAY YOU to open a checking account with them. Make sure you take them up on it. 

Message 3 of 16
Kozmo
Frequent Contributor

Thanks! I figured as much but wanted to be sure
Message 4 of 16
ForMyBiz
Frequent Contributor

Of course there's no way of knowing for sure, but I will say this, when they approved my Chase Ink card, myfico score was still below 600.  They sent me a pre-approved offer in the mail.  I assumed the only reason they offered it to me was because I had 3 years of business checking experience with them.

As far as the Chase Freedom goes, I had to recon.  Again, there's no way to be certain, but the analyst I spoke to spent 10 minutes "making notes" and I assumed that meant she was going through my checking history, although she could have just been looking at my reports.

Message 5 of 16
Brax
Frequent Contributor

An automatic approval will have nothing to do with your banking relationship with Chase. If you don't get automatically approved, a manual approval (the 7 -10 day message) that takes several days to get approved by an actual person is going to be likely more successful with a banking relationship.

I had a Chase personal and business checking account for two years. They had been closed for over a year when I applied for my first Chase credit card. With my credit score, I was looking at getting only a $300 - $1000 limit at most. Instead, Chase gave me a $5000 limit once approved. It wasn't an automatic approval, but after several days I was notified of the approval without having to call in or recon.

Message 6 of 16
essexjet
Contributor

Two weeks ago I applied for chase united explorer, I have low 600's with a medium to high util. I have had a chase checking account for about 7 years. I keep an average of 15-20K in checking. I received a 7-10 day decision and called the recon number within the hour, said I was approved for $5000. I'm going to say my checking account relationship with Chase had an affect on their decision
2/21/19 Fico's: EQ 651 - TU 666 - EXP 670
4/4/19 Fico's: EQ 744 - TU 763 - EXP 758

AMEX Platinum: NPSL / DCU $3000 / Barclaycard Apple Visa $2700 / Firestone $1200 / Credit One Bank $1100 / Walmart $8000 / Capital One $500 / Chase United Explorer $5000 / Discover IT $1500 / NFCU $1500 / Sams Club $7500
Message 7 of 16
MaRain
Regular Contributor

@Kozmo wrote:

Thoughts?

IME, yes. I have fraud alerts on my cr's through all 3 CRA's and I have also opted out (of prescreened offers) as well. Since that time, when I have applied for cc's, I have always had to call in to verify my identity and have been unable to use the prescreened offers options on the various websites (I haven't received any pre-approvals since that time). 

I also subscribe to a credit monitoring service and have to actually call in to update my reports each month instead of the automated update. 

I have had an account with Chase for years and I tried to check for prescreened offers on their website but no offers were matched to me. I got the itch and when I applied online, I was asked if I had a checking/savings account. I answered yes and after completing the application, I received instant approval. No calling to verify my identity, nothing. That was in August, 2013. 

I believe that since I was their customer (for more than 3 years), I got automatically approved. Otherwise, it seems to reason that I would have to call in and verify my identity as I have to do with each of my other cc's. 

I don't think that you have to be their customer to get one but in my case, it only helped!

Back in the garden until 10/2015.

Starting Score: EQ 714, EX 658, TU 691 (pulled by mortgage lender on 10/7/14)
Current Score: EQ 656, EX 660, TU 660 (FAKOS pulled on 3/26/15)
Goal Score: EQ 760, EX 700, TU 760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 16
Kozmo
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the replies!

I would imagine on recon only will it help. Or if find myself having to call in to verify my identity
Message 9 of 16
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Kozmo wrote:

Thoughts?

It definitely doesn't hurt but it depends on your balances AND your banker.

A couple of months ago a girl in our office that banks with Chase (checking and savings) applied for a Visa Card and was denied for no credit history. A banker at her branch pleaded her case to the U/W and she got a Visa Card with a $500 or $1000 credit line.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.