cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does having six new cards in the past year considered a lot?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does having six new cards in the past year considered a lot?

Thanks, HamSupLo.

I was starting to get sad about my Freedom 2,500 limit but when I look at yours I feel less depressed. Robot wink

Message 11 of 30
Christina_xyt
Established Contributor

@coldnmn wrote:

The ones that post CLDs may not be sharing their whole credit picture. It maybe time to check yourself into the garden club rehab for awhile. So you can get some positive reporting on you new credit cards to be safe.

plan to be in garden for about 1 year.. not sure if i can actually do so.. lol

In sequence of approval, Last app/inquiry 5/30/2015
Message 12 of 30
Christina_xyt
Established Contributor

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

@Christina_xyt wrote:

I have 6 accounts opened in the 2014 including the mini app spree I have done a week and two or so..

That's more than I have done my entire life. Smiley Surprised Smiley Tongue Smiley Very Happy

but it's just six..  Smiley Sad

i saw people opened like 20 cards in a year?? Smiley Sad

Message 13 of 30
Christina_xyt
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Christina_xyt wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I am in the practically the same exact situation as you and would like to know as well.

i still can't belive when i am looking at your chart with all the high limit cards but then a freedom 400 ... 

Yeah, it's killing me on the inside slowly. At least we got answers to our questions!

do you mind if i ask how so chase is being so not generous with you??? i just don't get it.. even with my first card when i have absolutely no credit, i got my 1-2-3 boa card with a starter credit line 900.... 

Message 14 of 30
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@Christina_xyt wrote:

@coldnmn wrote:

The ones that post CLDs may not be sharing their whole credit picture. It maybe time to check yourself into the garden club rehab for awhile. So you can get some positive reporting on you new credit cards to be safe.

plan to be in garden for about 1 year.. not sure if i can actually do so.. lol

Smiley Happy That's why we have mad squirrels and gators for GC fence jumpers! Smiley Very Happy

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 15 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Christina_xyt wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Christina_xyt wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I am in the practically the same exact situation as you and would like to know as well.

i still can't belive when i am looking at your chart with all the high limit cards but then a freedom 400 ... 

Yeah, it's killing me on the inside slowly. At least we got answers to our questions!

do you mind if i ask how so chase is being so not generous with you??? i just don't get it.. even with my first card when i have absolutely no credit, i got my 1-2-3 boa card with a starter credit line 900.... 

@Anonymous really glad I can help with your "depression" haha. Smiley Very Happy

Anyway, I have absolutely no idea. I do have the same name as my dad and his credit was pretty bad (don't know specifics) when I received my Freedom so maybe there could have been a mix up? Doubt it though. I applied at a branch with a banker too. I even though my $200 starting limit was low and I never had a credit card before.

But yeah when I was filling out the questionnaire for my CLI last week I was pretty sure I would get kicked up to at least $1,000 given that I now had cards with $10,000 limits. Guess not. So I have no idea why they're being stingy now. I have pretty good credit and 4 years of history with Chase. My utilization was pretty high on my Freedom card (obviously with a $200 limit) and I made 3-4 payments per cycle. However, I've decreased my utilization significantly since getting other cards. Maybe they need to see more history with low utilization? I thought my current history would be enough to be pushed up to a CL that's more in line with my score and what I already have. I'll wait for another pre-approval type email for a soft CLI and see what happens. Maybe recon if it sucks. I'll probably start putting an effort and maybe make a formal thread when I do decide to apply for another CLI.

Message 16 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 12 new accounts of my own this year and another 10 AU accounts. No issues here, but then again, my Credit picture has been on the rise, too, and I keep my balances in check.

Message 17 of 30
PointLager
Established Contributor

I opened 12 cards in the past year, for a total of 13. (within year and a half).  However, I had capacity for credit due to recent move to the states,  income that can support new credit and no other debts.

following order:

Jun '13: BofA secured $500

Sep '13 CapOne unsecured QS $500 (auto CIL to $750 few months later)

Sep '13 Barclays denial

Dec '13: Amex PRG approval (NPSL), then next day approved for DeltaGold 2k. I put about 3-4k per month on the PRG over next 6d, and only 1k on the delta (minimum); no MS

Feb: 3x CLI Delta to $6k, then did a mini spree in this order:

Chase CSP 5k

Amex Platinum

Amex SPG 5k

March '14: another mini spree:

Barclays Arrival Plus 5k 

Chase BA card 3k

BofA Alaska 5k

Amex Delta Platinum (I wanted to switch to this card for the MQMs but couldnt PC so I just apped for it to get it before the AF jumped to $190.)

BofA:  origial card was unsecured at this point; it cost me a HP, bumped to $1500 CL

BofA:  approved for Fidelity Amex $2.5k

After the march mini spree, i got hit by Amex FR, at which point they put AA hard limits on my Platinum and PRG (5k and 3k).

June '14:

Chase auto-CLIs me:  CSP from 5k to 6k and BA from 3k to 4.5k

July '14:

Chase:  in-branch application for United Club Card.  The branch banking rep called the credit dept to recon and get me $8k limit plus AF waived for year one (main reason i did it through the branch.)

In Sept I tried 3x CLI on my SPG card but got declined, with the AA being quoted as reason. I guess i need to wait out a full 12 months to see what's the status of that.

Overall i've been pleased with Amex.  Great program, solid support (lost purchases got reimbursed because i bought them on my platinum), amex offers are excellent too.

Most of my cards are in the sock drawer with these being my everyday carry:

Ame Platinum (for emergencies or if i want to buy something that i will want purchase protection on.)

CSP (cabs and eating out)

United Club Card: non category spend

Amex PRG (grocery spend);  i am focusing on building back my united balance so i often forego the 2x MRs to just earn straight United 1.5.

I also carry SPG and Fidelity cards with me, from time to time.  I've been using my SPG as default non category for a while but i have a decent amount of SPG points for now so i'd rather build my united back up first.  

I've also moved $2k of CL from my BA card to my United Club card, giving me $10k CL on the united card.  I don't see a reason to spend on the BA card anymore since both UR, MR convert to it and even for non-category spend I'd rather put the spend on the SPG card and then I can transfer at 1.25x with the SPG bonus anyway.  

Delta card also only goes with me when I am flying delta and want to take advantage of the 20% discount for in flight beverages.  You don't even need to use the delta card if you want to pay with miles.  Delta lets you use any Amex card, as long as you have a Delta card.  Same for baggage and boarding privileges.   (United, on the other hand, insists on you using the united card if you want to take advantage of free bags/priority boarding)

Message 18 of 30
Christina_xyt
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous really glad I can help with your "depression" haha. Smiley Very Happy

Anyway, I have absolutely no idea. I do have the same name as my dad and his credit was pretty bad (don't know specifics) when I received my Freedom so maybe there could have been a mix up? Doubt it though. I applied at a branch with a banker too. I even though my $200 starting limit was low and I never had a credit card before.

But yeah when I was filling out the questionnaire for my CLI last week I was pretty sure I would get kicked up to at least $1,000 given that I now had cards with $10,000 limits. Guess not. So I have no idea why they're being stingy now. I have pretty good credit and 4 years of history with Chase. My utilization was pretty high on my Freedom card (obviously with a $200 limit) and I made 3-4 payments per cycle. However, I've decreased my utilization significantly since getting other cards. Maybe they need to see more history with low utilization? I thought my current history would be enough to be pushed up to a CL that's more in line with my score and what I already have. I'll wait for another pre-approval type email for a soft CLI and see what happens. Maybe recon if it sucks. I'll probably start putting an effort and maybe make a formal thread when I do decide to apply for another CLI.

I really wouldn't think that your dad's name and your name got mixed up since they should run by ssn first and then verify the rest.. 

but now it makes a bit more sense since you said that it's your first card.. you had no other credit cards.... you got your fisrt card with chase, that means you are still pretty good and lucky! i heard that chase does like to see some credit history before they approve one a card..

as for sp credit line with chase.. i guess i should dig some infor from here.. lol my first ever card boa 1-2-3 card.. i apped it without a ssn in a branch.. did have an average 5k in their checking for half a year.. not sure how i got approved with an unsecured card.. but they never cli me.. and i requested three times to get it to only 3000.. (was being stupid and not realize each time is a hard pull or what the hard pull does to the credit score.. Smiley Sad(((

Message 19 of 30
Christina_xyt
Established Contributor

@pointlager

what does AA mean?

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.