Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does heavy usage help Cap One CLI?

tag
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

Does heavy usage help Cap One CLI?

We know that for most credit cards, heavy usage will help auto-CLI. But I'm not sure about CapOne since you rarely get any meaningful auto-CLI, most times people have to contact their EO. 

In my case, my one and a half year old CapOne platinum is bumped from $750 to $1.5K, 1% added, AF waived, after I contacted EO, while they refuse to PC my card to Venture or Green cashback, of which part of the reason might be that it needs  a 3K or 5K minimum CL to do that PC.

So now I need to increase my CL. Since there auto-CLI is almost non-existent. I'm not sure what I can do about that. Does spending 4.5K(3X the CL) per month on my card for six month make a difference, in the EO's eye or system's eye about CLI, with spending $500 each month? Or I can do nothing about that except waiting?

Thanks.

Fide Amex 15K | Barclays Reward 3.5K | Citi Forward Student 5K | Discover IT 12.8K | US Cash Reward 6K | GE Paypal 5.5K | Wal Discover 6K | CapOne 3.5K | Kohl's 0.3K
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Does heavy usage help Cap One CLI?

@w20031424 wrote:

We know that for most credit cards, heavy usage will help auto-CLI. But I'm not sure about CapOne since you rarely get any meaningful auto-CLI, most times people have to contact their EO. 

In my case, my one and a half year old CapOne platinum is bumped from $750 to $1.5K, 1% added, AF waived, after I contacted EO, while they refuse to PC my card to Venture or Green cashback, of which part of the reason might be that it needs  a 3K or 5K minimum CL to do that PC.

So now I need to increase my CL. Since there auto-CLI is almost non-existent. I'm not sure what I can do about that. Does spending 4.5K(3X the CL) per month on my card for six month make a difference, in the EO's eye or system's eye about CLI, with spending $500 each month? Or I can do nothing about that except waiting?

Thanks.

Heavy usage on any card shows a lender that there may be a need to increase the limit its just that cap1 makes you go the EO route but for a SP its worth it for sure and contacting them again and again IMHO

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 4
enharu
Super Contributor

depends on which CapOne card you get.

Those "excellent" credit cards might get some CLI.

The "normal" or "bad" credit cards are usually stuck with whatever CL you got.

You can always go through the EO route and see what happens.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 4
KIPPIE12
Established Contributor

That's more than likely as others have said, a YMMV, depending on the issuer.  And Capital One, don't hold your breath. 

Current Score: EQ: 828, EX: 833, TU: 820 Citi TY Premier WEMC 46.5, (Since 1983)Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| Cap One QS WMC 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WEMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 15k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 18.7k|Chase IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k|Amex Everyday 16.2|BBVA Amex 22.5k|Total Rewards VS 12.5k|SGV 10K|Venture 12k|BOA Virgin Atlantic WEMC 11.2K|MB Amex 9.5k
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.