cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does higher average credit limit mean anything?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does higher average credit limit mean anything?

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Does having a higher average credit limit get you anything, like more or better offers, or higher starting limits, or anything?

Obviously no one can truly answer this question other than with anecdotes, but I think it kind of goes both ways.

On one hand, excessive exposure can be a bad thing and cause banks to not want to give you more exposure. On the other hand, seeing you manage a limit responsibly may encourage them to give you a higher limit.

In general though I think we tend to read far more into these things than we need to.

My profile got worse, AAOA went down, lots of inquiries, and new accounts.  As each card grew, it affected the increase on the other.  First was amex (obviously), then BOA, then Citi.

Then BOA, then Citi, then ended up witha 15k limit discover approval.  Pennies on the dollar change in scores.........

I agree. My story is similar to yours with the same outcome.  

Message 21 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does higher average credit limit mean anything?

Ancedotal Evidence:

1.) Equifax's Scoring Model (FAKO) based on a much older version of FICO has specific language for Positive/Negative Impacts regarding Avg Credit Line Amount.

2.) Chase specifically mentions $5000 CL experience when Recon for CSP...look up in forum.

3.) Cap1 specifically mentions $5000 CL experience in it's Excellent/Good/Rebuilding Credit breakdowns.

4.) My own situation. June 2015, Cap1 Sec Card $1000, QS1 $2250 ... I opened a secured card w Credit Union $5000 CL. Used/managed responsibly. Still put most of spend on QS1 and PIF'd multiple times per month. Dec 31 2015 requested a CLI on QS1 want to guess what the increase was? $5000.00 on the nose. 

5.) Barclaycard Arrival+ - applied on 3/30 2016, instant denial, called recon, analyst specifically mentioned payment history on Cap1, recent increase of limit from Dec, history/use of Sec CU card. Got approved for $5000 matching the credit union's limit.  Called back 12 days later and was able to get it pushed to $10k, analyst based increase on my TCL (2 cards) with CapOne being $8500 (at the time). THAT $10K limit had everything to do with my app spree success in May.

6.) July requested a CLI on my QS (no longer a QS1) MC ...want to guess what that increase was? $3000, putting me right at $10k

7.) EDIT (forgot) - Chase CSP Auto CLI of $5000 late August...looked later and they had SP EX report which showed the higher limits on other cards.

8.) 2 days ago (Sep 30th) PenFed Plat Visa - Approved SL $5,000 = Recon to $15k...

"having fewer cards, with higher limits is preferred to having more cards with lower limits" (this is verbiage from Equifax Scoring Model mentioned above)

I have 4 cards with Comenity, $3500, $3500, $3000, $1000 -> closing all this week. After that only card under $5k will be BofA and avg credit line will be around $8750

Message 22 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.