Contributor
BearOSO

Does it look bad to close a secured CC with high CL/Deposit

I currently have a USAA Sec CC with a $5000 limit. It will mature this month and I am going to close it and receive my moneys. I have been approved for the unsecured CC with a CL of 5500. Aside from utilization, how will removing the Secured CC affect my report? Will the sudden drop of $5000 or the closing of a two year account with perfect payment history, affect my score/report negatively? If so, how bad?

I am officially off to the garden for a year as I think I have acheived what I needed to and will pursue my "wants" in 2014. 

Starting Score: 656 12/2012
Current Score: FICO (USAA pulled) EXP:678 | myFICO EQ:676 | myFICO TU:685 | App free since 2/1/2013

Senior Contributor
Wolf3

Re: Does it look bad to close a secured CC with high CL/Deposit

BearOSO wrote:

I currently have a USAA Sec CC with a $5000 limit. It will mature this month and I am going to close it and receive my moneys. I have been approved for the unsecured CC with a CL of 5500. Aside from utilization, how will removing the Secured CC affect my report? Will the sudden drop of $5000 or the closing of a two year account with perfect payment history, affect my score/report negatively? If so, how bad?

I am officially off to the garden for a year as I think I have acheived what I needed to and will pursue my "wants" in 2014. 

There is nothing negative about closing an account other than utilization, unless they are your only CCs.   I would not close unless I had at least 3 open CC left.  

Valued Contributor
creditnocash

Re: Does it look bad to close a secured CC with high CL/Deposit

besides utilization, it wont hurt your reports. 

any account closed in good standing still reports good for 10 years. 

please refer to this link 

Click ME

Current: EQ 735 Discover 9/5/13 Walmart TU 730 EX FICO 726 Amex Pull(1/1/13)

Starting total revolving credit: $2600 | Current total revolving credit: 31k+

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 8 TU 5 EX 5 | Most Recent: 09/04/2013
2 Inquiries in The Last 12 Months

2014 Goals:
Lower Utility

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$2900
Citi Diamond Preferred$6000
Citizens Mastercard$7000

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+