cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does mortgage or auto loan help increasing credit scores?

tag
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

Does mortgage or auto loan help increasing credit scores?

If it does, then I don't need to keep a balance on any of my cards to increase my CS.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Does mortgage or auto loan help increasing credit scores?

Having a mtg or auto loan does help but you also should have a healthy mix of cc's. letting at least 1 cc report a balance is deemed ideal.
Message 2 of 6
Kutuzov
Frequent Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Having a mtg or auto loan does help but you also should have a healthy mix of cc's. letting at least 1 cc report a balance is deemed ideal.

+1

Gardening since 03/25/2016. Discover FICO 705 (4/21/16).
Discover It 2000, Barclay Ring 7100, Capital One QS 7000, Amazon sc 6000, Chase AARP 2500, Barclay Rewards 500
Message 3 of 6
Larkfield
Valued Member

For me, my mortgage loan (Oct) basically had little impact on my score on EQ and TU, but my EX score tanked.  I cant definately say thats the reason since I have 0 balance on all my cards and last time I pulled that was actually listed as a negative only on EX but the amount the score decreased makes me think that the mortgage loan contributed to the drop.

From what I read on this forum, my score will increase once a good pattern of payment is reported on my mortgage loan.  Im going to try and leave a nominal balance <9% on one of my cards and see what that does.

WF Platinum (3K), CapOne Platinum (5K), Discover IT (1K)
Message 4 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@DigitalArk wrote:
If it does, then I don't need to keep a balance on any of my cards to increase my CS.

It's not an either-or thing.  Every factor matters.  Low utilization and a mix of credit will help your credit score -- among other things as well.

Message 5 of 6
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

Thank you all!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.