Does Penfed allow product chage ?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: Does penfed allow product change?

@Red1Blue wrote:

Doubt it...thought your pen fed acct brand new? 

Perhaps others more knowledgeable in this instance will reply to confirm but I'm sure they'll let you know if you call.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Red1Blue wrote:

They dont, especially if you're considering PC'ing to the Platinum Visa.

Message 3 of 11
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

Yes, you can convert.  Hegemony on that other big board just converted his PenFed Promise to the PenFed Amex back in April right after approval...no issue at all. Give them a call. 

Message 4 of 11
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Best to ask PenFed.   They usually pull credit before giving you a yes or no answer.

Message 5 of 11
CrdtLrnr
New Contributor

@Red1Blue wrote:

I talked to a customer service rep today about PC from AMEX Premium Travel Awards to Platinum Visa cash back.  She said no problem and no hard inquiry , etc.  In fact she said I could split my current CL ($50K) between the AMEX Premium Travel and a new Platinum VISA if so desired.  I will PC to Platinum VISA since I just obtained the AMEX Blue Cash Back card, already have an AMEX Platinum, and want another good cash back card to carry for those times a merchant doesn't accept AMEX. 

Message 6 of 11
nicemann
Established Contributor

@CrdtLrnr wrote:

I talked to a customer service rep today about PC from AMEX Premium Travel Awards to Platinum Visa cash back.  She said no problem and no hard inquiry , etc.  In fact she said I could split my current CL ($50K) between the AMEX Premium Travel and a new Platinum VISA if so desired.  I will PC to Platinum VISA since I just obtained the AMEX Blue Cash Back card, already have an AMEX Platinum, and want another good cash back card to carry for those times a merchant doesn't accept AMEX. 

Humm, wonder if they will allow anyone to do that.  I've had my Platinum VISA for only 4 months.  If I could split my CL between the two cards would be great, been looking for a good travel card.  Especially if they will not do another hard INQ.  Maybe I will call a little later today and just ask nicely.

Message 7 of 11
nicemann
Established Contributor

One thing I don't see on the website is how the miles work.  Is it like Capital One where they just give you a credit back for your ticket for the amount of the points?  For example if you have 20,000 points and the ticket costs $300, they will pay you back $200 dollars?  Or do you have to book through their website and they take the points that way?

Thanks again!

Message 8 of 11
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I called and requested product change for platinum card. They said they can change the product. They are mailing the paperwork for me to sign and the new card is also being mailed. Once the new card mailed, I guess the old card become inactive. New card will have a differennt number since they use different numbering system for different cards. I asked if I can split the CL between Amex and Visa. They said the Amex has min CL of $5k and my total CL is only 5k at this time. I guess I have to apply for CLI and then split for the CL to new card. I guess I'll wait for them to give me CLI and then ask for the amex card. Again I am not sure if I want to add a new card on to my CR at this time which reduces my AAoA, Any way looks like it is a good CU to be a member of. Customer Service is excellent.

Message 9 of 11
CrdtLrnr
New Contributor

@nicemann wrote:

One thing I don't see on the website is how the miles work.  Is it like Capital One where they just give you a credit back for your ticket for the amount of the points?  For example if you have 20,000 points and the ticket costs $300, they will pay you back $200 dollars?  Or do you have to book through their website and they take the points that way?

Thanks again!

The PenFed AMEX Premium Travel Rewards has its own website where you can book travel, redeem points for "stuff", etc.  Not sure about the other rewards cards they offer.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.