cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the AAOA of checking accounts matter when applying?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does the AAOA of checking accounts matter when applying?

Hi all,

I have a thin file (no credit history at all, in fact) and an 8 year old checking account. If I open another acount (ING Direct Electric Orange checking) before applying for my first card, will it affect my credit score or any other criteria (AAOA?) used to evaluate CC applications?

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Does the AAOA of checking accounts matter when applying?

You may want to ask if they pull a CR to open an account. Sometimes opening a checking account might result in an inq, but it won't be factored into your AAoA, as checking/savings accounts don't appear on your credit reports.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 2 of 6
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

no
5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tinuviel wrote:

You may want to ask if they pull a CR to open an account. Sometimes opening a checking account might result in an inq, but it won't be factored into your AAoA, as checking/savings accounts don't appear on your credit reports.

My understanding is that ING does perfom a hard inquiry for Electric Orange accounts. From what I've read a hard pull affects your score for 6-12 months - if I want to apply for a card during that period, and given my lack of credit history to date, would it be better to forgo the Electric Orange for now? The $125 Black Friday bonus would be nice but building credit is more important to me in the long run.

Thanks again

Message 4 of 6
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Do you plan on applying for a card, loan, or mortgage any time soon? If not, then do not worry about the inquiry. Even if you are, one inquiry will not be a big deal. $125 is not that great a bonus, but it is the best I have seen them offer, so you should go for it if you want the account. Short history will hurt you more than the inquiry and the only way to solve that is time.

You actually do not have a score at all if you have no credit. The eight year old account will not show on your reports and neither will the ING Direct account.

Message 5 of 6
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

I have no firm evidence of this, but I can intuitively assume that the whole fact of having a checking account with a certain bank will help in the only case (if at all) of applying for a card of that bank. At least I used that fact of having a 4-yr old checking account relationship with BofA while trying to recon their denial for a credit card not a long ago and apparently it worked. I also opened a Cap1 checking account around 6 months before applying for my first credit card from Cap1 which was also a success, though I have no proof that this was taken into consideration in the credit decision making process.

As mentioned previously, checking accounts are not listed in your credit report, so I doubt having an account with Chase would help you to get Citibank credit card (just as an example)...

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.