cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the American Express Black card exist?

tag
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

Does the American Express Black card exist?

Or is this some urban myth?

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
bribro
Valued Contributor

Re: Does the American Express Black card exist?

Yes, the American Express Centurion (Black) card still exists. New card approvals have been severely restricted though.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 2 of 16
compassion101
Established Contributor

Supposedly it was an urban legend many years back about its existence. The idea of the card was supposedly created around the urban legend (unless that is another urban legend Smiley Happy )

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

It exists. My parents had one and I have seen and used several in business travel.

The annual fee used to be $2500.

Message 4 of 16
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Yes!

Supposedly one of the forum members had one, however this was not confirmed and he left the forum after many member got suspicious.

the technical name for this card is Centurion

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 16
alboto
Regular Contributor

It does exist. Around 6 years ago I used to work in an upscale restaurant in Miami and we received many of those cards.

Message 6 of 16
CardinalRules
New Contributor

It definitely does exist. I swiped one at my place of work not too long ago. 

AMEX SPG - $8k
Citi AA Visa - $6.5k
Walmart Discover - $5.5k
Citi Forward - $3.9k
Discover More - $2.5k
Wells Fargo Cash Back - $1.9k
Message 7 of 16
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevenbertoni/2011/01/25/amex-reveals-details-about-its-secretive-centur...

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 8 of 16
xiownthisplacex
Frequent Contributor

Yep, my boss has one! He says he pays $2,500 in AF and, according to him, you need to have a financial portfolio of at least 1 million dollars in order to "qualify".

Message 9 of 16
p-
Valued Contributor

If you get an AMEX through USAA the card is black.  I've had a couple of people look a little closer at it, and I have done nothing to discourage the assumption that I am a "Black" card holder  :-P

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.