cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the extra warranty still count when you pay with points/rewards/statement credit?

tag
annebythesea
New Contributor

Does the extra warranty still count when you pay with points/rewards/statement credit?

Quick question and I tried googling but it didn't help so I thouht I'd ask here. Most credit cards have the extended 1 year warranty on their cards if you purchase the product 100% with your card. But if you buy a item with your credit card but use either your points or rewards or cash back to pay for it, is it still covered for that extra year? Or not? 

Starting Score: MyFico EQ 694 (3/2013)
Current Score: MyFico EQ 707 (4/1/2013), EX 734 (4/12/2013 - AMEX pull)
Goal Score: 740+, gardening since: 5/17/13

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Does the extra warranty still count when you pay with points/rewards/statement credit?

It is not covered for that extra year if you use points to get it.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 4
annebythesea
New Contributor

Re: Does the extra warranty still count when you pay with points/rewards/statement credit?

@enharu wrote:
It is not covered for that extra year if you use points to get it.

All I wanted to know. Thank you. 

Starting Score: MyFico EQ 694 (3/2013)
Current Score: MyFico EQ 707 (4/1/2013), EX 734 (4/12/2013 - AMEX pull)
Goal Score: 740+, gardening since: 5/17/13

Message 3 of 4
nyancat
Established Contributor

If you do a statement credit you should be fine, but still, always always best to not risk anything they can use for a denial. No split payments of any type for things you want insurance and warranty on.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.