cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the frequency of the usage of the card affect CLI?

tag
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

Does the frequency of the usage of the card affect CLI?

We know that in general, the more you charge through a card, the bigger chance you will get a CLI or a CLI of higher limit.

My question is, does charging nothing but $2000 dollars on the card when you purchase a pair of shoes or some clothings once a month  makes any difference with someone who put all the grocery/utility bill/medical bill on the card, which also totals $2000 a month, when the computer decides CLI?

How about credit analyst manual review?

Thanks. 

Fide Amex 15K | Barclays Reward 3.5K | Citi Forward Student 5K | Discover IT 12.8K | US Cash Reward 6K | GE Paypal 5.5K | Wal Discover 6K | CapOne 3.5K | Kohl's 0.3K
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

Re: Does the frequency of the usage of the card affect CLI?

@w20031424 wrote:

We know that in general, the more you charge through a card, the bigger chance you will get a CLI or a CLI of higher limit.

My question is, does charging nothing but $2000 dollars on the card when you purchase a pair of shoes or some clothings once a month  makes any difference with someone who put all the grocery/utility bill/medical bill on the card, which also totals $2000 a month, when the computer decides CLI?

Thanks. 

To me, it's YMMV. It can goes either way.

If you don't charge enough on the card, the lender may give you more CL in order to win you over.

If you charge a lot thru a card to its near limit, and pif. The lender may see that you need high CL to better accomodate.

Or

If you don't charge enough on the card, the lender may see that you have enough CL and won't give you anymore.

If you charge a lot thru a card to its near limit, and pif. The lender may not give you anymore because what if you stop paying and just maxing out the card.

it's YMMV, and depending on your credit profile and income.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 2 of 5
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

@armbenderc wrote:

@w20031424 wrote:

Thanks. 

To me, it's YMMV. It can goes either way.

If you don't charge enough on the card, the lender may give you more CL in order to win you over.

If you charge a lot thru a card to its near limit, and pif. The lender may see that you need high CL to better accomodate.

Or

If you don't charge enough on the card, the lender may see that you have enough CL and won't give you anymore.

If you charge a lot thru a card to its near limit, and pif. The lender may not give you anymore because what if you stop paying and just maxing out the card.

it's YMMV, and depending on your credit profile and income.

What I mean is all the things except the frequency of the usage of card are the same.  Both people have same card/income/AAOF/FICO, etc. The only difference is one use the card once a month, the other twenty times a month. And the purchase amount is the same.

Fide Amex 15K | Barclays Reward 3.5K | Citi Forward Student 5K | Discover IT 12.8K | US Cash Reward 6K | GE Paypal 5.5K | Wal Discover 6K | CapOne 3.5K | Kohl's 0.3K
Message 3 of 5
fittiger
Frequent Contributor

Solely based on my opinion, I would venture to say the more transactions scenario would garner a CLI faster b/c the bank sees you use their product a lot vs putting a lot of debt on their card in one shot, which may seem riskier without looking as if you will continue to use them in the future

There are so many other factors I'm sure that affect this though.

BUT.....I would guess that your payment history is a much bigger factor.
Message 4 of 5
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

I think it may also be due to your repayment habits. I know my Discover card gave me an inital limit of $7500. The highest the balance has ever been has been $1000. And I made 2 payments a month both totaling more than the minimum payment. One day I checked my account and my limit was $9000 and I had only paid the balance down to $500.

So I think if they see you are going to pay the money back in a timely manner they will be willing to give a limit increase.

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.