cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does. the interest rate matter to you?

tag
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

Re: Does. the interest rate matter to you?

@Anonymous wrote:

@EdMan63 wrote:

I agree with others that it really points a finger at your credit worthiness more than anything else and probably has a lot to do with low or hight SL. So in that regard a high APR is probably limiting your growth with the card. But since we should never be paying interest on a reward card its not really important to me in that regard. 

+1 

IMO ideally we should never be paying credit card interest at all, on any card. If you think about it, paying interest is like buying a $100 pair of shoes for $120. I can't think of any good reason for doing that.

Every portfolio should have a card designed for carrying a balance.  There are many reasons why a person would want to make purchases strategically.  If your $100 pair of shoes is on sale NOW for $70, then it makes sense to buy them now and pay $75 for them instead of paying $100 on pay day when the sale is over and that's only one example. 

Message 21 of 43
amakol
Regular Contributor

It shouldn't since I PIF every month but it does. I don't like feeling that I have subpar terms from when I was starting my credit portfolio.

The worst is Chase, since they won't budge from a 23.24 on my Freedom. It's gotten to the point where I'm considering losing years of history to reopen the card with a better APR. Banks that do APR reduction I don't mind waiting.

EQ 740 FICO, 4 INQ | EX 736 FICO, 5 INQ | TU 745 FICO, 5 INQ | CL $175K | AAOA 4 Years
Message 22 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is a HUGE deal to me.  It matters very much.  Major CC's:

My CU card is at 2.9% until october then it goes to 7.9.  This card functions as a line of credit.

Delta gold is at 8.49%. and only took 4-5 months to get to that. 

I would like to think by December my Amex ED could be below 9%. (by the way what is the lowest these can go, prime plus 3?

DC is at 0 until 2/17 then 14.24, will immediately be requesting a APR reduction then

IHG is at 16.24%

Commerce bank is at 20.24

BOA 20.24% will be requesting another APR reduction in about 3 months

Cap1 QS 25.24 (ridiculous waste of time not even worth mentioning lol)

Message 23 of 43
Chris679
Established Contributor

@wacdenney wrote:

I see this all the time where people are looking to lower their APR on rewards cards and it just doesn't make any sense at all.  APR on a card like Double Cash is absolutely irrelevant.  It is a rewards card so if you are carrying a balance on it then you are negating the rewards.  I have no idea what any of the APRs on any of my rewards cards are.

Where you need to worry about your APR is on your card that you have as a part of your portfolio that is designed for carrying a balance.  Every portfolio should have one and this is the only card where the APR matters.  If you don't have one then you should get one.  Barclay Ring or a good Credit Union card...  Worry about the APR on this card.  If you know what the APR is on your rewards cards then you're doing it wrong.

I don't even know where to begin with this post but I'll do my best.  While you are ignoring the APR on your "rewards" cards many of us are lowering the apr on all cards so we don't need to have one card designed for carrying a balance.  Why use an 8% card with no rewards when I can use a 10% card that pays 5% rewards?  Many of the cards with the best rewards may also provide better purchase protection.  10% apr is less than 1% a month so you can still come out way ahead if you pay off a charge within a reasonable time.  Many people are also able to lower purchase apr much lower than 10%.  Everyone agrees it's best to pif but if you aren't trying to lower your apr on all of your cards then you might just be doing it wrong. Personally I have paid interest one time in the past four years but I like to be in a position to use my cards to my advantage if the opportunity arises.

Message 24 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wacdenney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@EdMan63 wrote:

I agree with others that it really points a finger at your credit worthiness more than anything else and probably has a lot to do with low or hight SL. So in that regard a high APR is probably limiting your growth with the card. But since we should never be paying interest on a reward card its not really important to me in that regard. 

+1 

IMO ideally we should never be paying credit card interest at all, on any card. If you think about it, paying interest is like buying a $100 pair of shoes for $120. I can't think of any good reason for doing that.

Every portfolio should have a card designed for carrying a balance.  There are many reasons why a person would want to make purchases strategically.  If your $100 pair of shoes is on sale NOW for $70, then it makes sense to buy them now and pay $75 for them instead of paying $100 on pay day when the sale is over and that's only one example. 

By "carrying a balance" do you mean "paying interest on a balance" ?  Everything I have read here has suggested that the ideal is all cards except 1 reporting zero balance, and 1 card reporting between 1%-9% utilization. This does not seem to mandate carrying a balance month-to-month to incur interest...

Message 25 of 43
Chris679
Established Contributor

Carrying a balance means paying interest yes. A bad habit to get into certainly but once and a while can be to your advantage. Ignore the noise about how paying interest on a credit card is the worst thing anyone could ever do.
Message 26 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I always pay my statement due amount. Does not hurt to have a low interest card though - just in case. 

Message 27 of 43
Gmood1
Super Contributor

The only time I'm interested in the APR is when its 0%. Anything more than that, I could care less.
Just not a world changer for me. I'll take a higher limit over a 9% card if I had to choose any day.
I want usable limits.
Message 28 of 43
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@EdMan63 wrote:

+1 

By "carrying a balance" do you mean "paying interest on a balance" ?  Everything I have read here has suggested that the ideal is all cards except 1 reporting zero balance, and 1 card reporting between 1%-9% utilization. This does not seem to mandate carrying a balance month-to-month to incur interest...

In the world of finance, nothing that is "ideal" is guaranteed.

Yes, in order to have the best FICO score, it is often suggested that you should let <10% of your balance on one card post, and others should report zero. It is never encouraged to pay interest to increase FICO score. FICO doesn't even know if you're paying interest.

That rule is simply meant to get ahead of the current scoring system. In the current system, FICO model cannot differentiate between interest carrying balance and balance that will get paid off in full by the due date. And I consider this a weakness of the model and the reporting system.

Anyhow, credit cards are meant to defer the payment on a purchase, and in the process, earn some rewards as well. It's essentially short-term debt. FICO maximizers pay off their debt (save that <10% part) even before the statement cuts, thus foregoing 20-odd days of interest float (which, in today's terms, might not be worth a lot though). 

But since CC are essentially a short-term debt mechanism, you can, as Wacdenny said, use them for short term financing when the discount is worth much more than the interest you're going to pay them. In that example, it's not the case that you're carrying $70 (it could be any other number) to improve your FICO score. It's because you didn't have enough funds right then to pay off the balance (and hence incurred say 2% interest, or $1.40). But you saved $30 because that deal comes once a year. So you're still ahead by 28% even after paying some interest. 

While statements like "don't buy anything you can't pay off right now with cash" are good catchphrases and make sense to build some financial responsibility, it is too broad a statement which could often mean making bad deals. 

For example, if you were going to definitely buy a MacBook and you were only to have enough funds in say this February, and that's the reason why you didn't purchase them last December with your Discover 10% Apple Pay deal with <20% APR, I'd say that's bad decision-making.

Message 29 of 43
Chris679
Established Contributor

Even better if you negotiate that Discover APR down to 10.49%. Perfect example of when paying interest is a good idea.
Message 30 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.