Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does this card exist?...

tag
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: Does this card exist?...

Capital One Venture seems like a no grainer to me.

Basically 2% back on ANYTHING and redemeable towards anything related to travel at all.

No mins , no max.  

Obviously you travel.

comes in Signature Visa form with chip.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 21 of 31
NRB525
Super Contributor

@celluloid17 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
but costco is a warehouse store so you have to keep in mind it'll be hard to get more than 1%. but, in actuality, for how low of spend you claim to do the extra 1% really won't be worth the trouble. i understand wanting to maximize rewards but if you're already spreading thin with a few cards then 1 whole percent won't add up to much at all. maybe $50 a year? and is that worth a HP?

I would utlimately like to limit myself to three or four cards max, so I'm looking for something that will serve multiple functions so I can eliminate some of the others.  I have hardly any inquiries on any of my reports so I don't mind incurring one or two for something that will meet my desired criteria (a long shot, I know!).

OP, you need to get a Capital One Quicksilver no AF card. The difference of 0.5% between this 1.5% and your dream of 2%, if this is used for remainder spend of $3k per year, works out to $15 for the year, about $1 per month, for a fairly high level of angst you seem to have about the 0.5% Smiley Happy

You will benefit more by making sure your higher cost factors, no AF, no FTF, are taken care of, because these, in the long run, will outweigh the 0.5%.

You also forgot another benefit, no BT fees, which is a feature of Capital One cards, and which you may find yourself wanting to have on hand at some point in the future for the ability to quick-park some funds on the Capital One card.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 22 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@celluloid17 wrote:

I'm looking for a general spend card that gives 2% back for all spend, that's a Visa, has a low or no redemption threshhold ($25 or less to redeem cash back), and no foreign transaction fees?

I think the only thing that comes close is Quicksilver, but I'm wondering if there are any credit products out there that meet this criteria and surpass 1.5% cash back?

Smiley Happy

ETA: ...and no annual fee!

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/capital-one-spark-with-no-annual-fee-in-branch-offer/

Message 23 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@celluloid17 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

I'm looking for a general spend card that gives 2% back for all spend, that's a Visa, has a low or no redemption threshhold ($25 or less to redeem cash back), and no foreign transaction fees?

I think the only thing that comes close is Quicksilver, but I'm wondering if there are any credit products out there that meet this criteria and surpass 1.5% cash back?

Smiley Happy

I felt compelled to say ... BofA Travel Rewards with Platinum or Platinum Honors.

Minimum redemption is 25 dollars for travel credit (1 to 1 ratio).

2.625% effective cashback, no annual fee, zero foreign transaction fee, and it's a Visa.

I've thought about that one a lot, but I don't have a banking relationship with BOA and it's a tad limiting in terms of redemption.  On the other hand, I think it's an underrated travel specific card.

You can do what I've occasionally considered, and just throw some index fund / ETF shares into an account there to sit.

I don't suggest moving cash to BofA just for the card, since BofA's interest rates on savings were lousy last I checked.

Message 24 of 31
celluloid17
Established Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
but costco is a warehouse store so you have to keep in mind it'll be hard to get more than 1%. but, in actuality, for how low of spend you claim to do the extra 1% really won't be worth the trouble. i understand wanting to maximize rewards but if you're already spreading thin with a few cards then 1 whole percent won't add up to much at all. maybe $50 a year? and is that worth a HP?

I would utlimately like to limit myself to three or four cards max, so I'm looking for something that will serve multiple functions so I can eliminate some of the others.  I have hardly any inquiries on any of my reports so I don't mind incurring one or two for something that will meet my desired criteria (a long shot, I know!).

OP, you need to get a Capital One Quicksilver no AF card. The difference of 0.5% between this 1.5% and your dream of 2%, if this is used for remainder spend of $3k per year, works out to $15 for the year, about $1 per month, for a fairly high level of angst you seem to have about the 0.5% Smiley Happy

You will benefit more by making sure your higher cost factors, no AF, no FTF, are taken care of, because these, in the long run, will outweigh the 0.5%.

You also forgot another benefit, no BT fees, which is a feature of Capital One cards, and which you may find yourself wanting to have on hand at some point in the future for the ability to quick-park some funds on the Capital One card.

Another plus of the Quicksilver is the easy sign-up bonus, which isn't a necessity for me, but it's a plus!  

As far as the Venture and Spark cards go, even though I'm looking for a card without FTF, I don't travel enough to justify a travel oriented card specifically.  I like the versatility of a cash back card.  

I just want to add that I really appreciate all of the thoughtful replies and responses to this thread.  Thank you all so much!

Smiley Very Happy

Message 25 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@celluloid17 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

Smiley Happy

I felt compelled to say ... BofA Travel Rewards with Platinum or Platinum Honors.

2.625% effective cashback, no annual fee, zero foreign transaction fee, and it's a Visa.

I've thought about that one a lot, but I don't have a banking relationship with BOA and it's a tad limiting in terms of redemption.  On the other hand, I think it's an underrated travel specific card.

You don't need to have a banking relationship with BoA to be approved for one of their cards.

Message 26 of 31
NRB525
Super Contributor

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

Smiley Happy

You don't need to have a banking relationship with BoA to be approved for one of their cards.

This is true, however to get this, one needs a banking relationship, otherwise it's just 1.5%.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 27 of 31
degs138
Established Contributor

Just get both the citi DC and qs. 0 af, 2% back and when you travel use the qs. QS will be visa and DC MC. You'll be fine with those two. If you are worried about ftf you obviously travel and a travel card would be better.

FICO TU 757 Eq 741 116,900 Total revolving Credit.
Favorite cards: AMEX BCP, US Bank Cash+, Chase Sapphire Prefered
Message 28 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

Smiley Happy

This is true, however to get this, one needs a banking relationship, otherwise it's just 1.5%.

yeah and have like 50k in the bank too

Message 29 of 31
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

OP - how much do you charge per month?

More than $1000 = Venture - 2% travel credit $59 AF but $400 sign up bonus.

Less than $1000 = QuickSilver - 1.5% cash back no AF and $100 sign up bonus.

No brainer to me.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.