cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does time in the garden increase your CLs on new cards in the long run?

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Does time in the garden increase your CLs on new cards in the long run?

Say two people have the exact same credit report. One person applies for a chase card after six months in the garden and gets a 5k CL. The other person stays in the garden for a full year and then applies for the same card. Assuming both people kept stellar utilization and made all payments  for the full year. Would the second person end up with a higher initial CL? Fast forward one year from when the second person got the card. Would both people with exactly the same credit history have the same credit line at that point, or would person A or B come out ahead of the other?

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Does time in the garden increase your CLs on new cards in the long run?

If both of them had a number of recent inquiries and new accounts, and person A applied before those new inquiries and accounts become >1 year, he will have a lower CL and approval odds compared to B, who chose to give the new accounts time to age and also for inquiries to become older
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 11
red259
Super Contributor

Yea, that is kind of what I thought. It just seems like Chase is not likely to hand out CLIs where the cards would even out later. Anyone know if the CSP is more likely to receieve an auto CLI than a Freedom or is it all about the same?

;
Message 3 of 11
Ailee92

you guys are making it sound like a high school math problem.... less inquiries will most likely result in higher credit limits and higher chances of approval. Although not by much unless you had a ton of inquiries. Personally just weigh the inquiries and how they are worth to you. If I get 50k - 100k points for sign up bonus that's more than enough worth it for me.

Message 4 of 11
Ailee92

@red259 wrote:

Yea, that is kind of what I thought. It just seems like Chase is not likely to hand out CLIs where the cards would even out later. Anyone know if the CSP is more likely to receieve an auto CLI than a Freedom or is it all about the same?

I obtained both Freedom and Sapphire on the same day, my Freedom recently recieved a nice 50% CLI the Sapphire did not. Most likely Freedom would get a better chance to get a CLI imo mainly cause they would want to upgrade you to a Visa Signiture cause the swipe fees are a bit higher.

Message 5 of 11
enharu
Super Contributor

Auto CLI chances are dependent upon your usage and payment history. I think all cards have equal chances of auto CLI. It just depends on the customer.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 11
red259
Super Contributor

What was your initial CL on the Freedom and how long did you have it before the CLI? Was it auto or you requested it? What type of use did you have on the Freedom? Your theory about the Visa Signature upgrade sounds logical. My Venture is a visa sig and I wish my freedom was.

;
Message 7 of 11
Ailee92

@red259 wrote:

What was your initial CL on the Freedom and how long did you have it before the CLI? Was it auto or you requested it? What type of use did you have on the Freedom? Your theory about the Visa Signature upgrade sounds logical. My Venture is a visa sig and I wish my freedom was.

initial was $3,000  got bumped upto $4,500 and still came in as a signiture card for some reason. I do have multiple Chase cards and this was the only non-signiture card. I have World Mastercard Sapphire and the Sapphire Visa Signiture, Ink, and Mileage Club. 

Message 8 of 11
red259
Super Contributor

Didn't even know you could have two sapphire cards!

;
Message 9 of 11
Ailee92

@red259 wrote:

Didn't even know you could have two sapphire cards!

two times the bonus, although it doesn't always work, but it worked for me. Luckily I recieved the 7% bonus on both the cards that included the sign up bonus as well. (very lucky)

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.