Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does timing of payment help with CLI chances

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Does timing of payment help with CLI chances

With the Chase Freedom card I intend to pay off my balance before the statement cuts. However, when it comes to CLI I was wondering if there was a benefit to paying my balance down even earlier, like shortly after the charges post. When chase considers people for auto cli are they even looking at how quickly the charges are paid off, or are they looking at balances that are being reported to the CRA and the credit card utilization at that time? I could pay off my card right now, or I could wait and pay it off in two weeks a few days prior to the balances being reported. Just not sure if there is a benefit to doing it now.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
bribro
Valued Contributor

Re: Does timing of payment help with CLI chances

The timing probably won't make much of a difference, but I would suspect that the best way to position yourself for a CLI would be to charge up very close to your credit limit, pay down, and repeat.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.