Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does usage help with CLIs?

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Does usage help with CLIs?

I'm wondering if sometime between CLIs, you use most if not all of your limit then pay it down/pay it off, are you more likely to get a better CLI than if you were to just use 10-20% of your CL? 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
youngman1234
Established Contributor

Re: Does usage help with CLIs?

I have been doing this with BOA for the past 3 years and works everytime... They love to see usage and PIF everytime....
Message 2 of 19
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@youngman1234 wrote:
I have been doing this with BOA for the past 3 years and works everytime... They love to see usage and PIF everytime....

+1

All things considered with spend correlation (direct or indirect), seems to work for me as well - Chase, BOA, AMEX, Citi, US Bank...

Message 3 of 19
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I took advantage of a Barclay's CLI earlier this year. Used it for a BT. Ran the card close to the limit them almost paid it off within a few months. Got a heathy increase about 5 months after that increase. Didn't know if it was a coincidence. Going to make use of one of their checks. That's going to get me close to my new limit and it will be paid off in 2 months. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 4 of 19
youngman1234
Established Contributor

I don't really do bt never did one...mine are usually just purchases but I have never been denied a cli from boa
Message 5 of 19
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@FinStar wrote:

@youngman1234 wrote:

+1

All things considered with spend correlation (direct or indirect), seems to work for me as well - Chase, BOA, AMEX, Citi, US Bank...

I suspect the majority if not all lenders factor this into their own CLI approval process.  Every card I use heavily I get CLI's on, the ones that I don't my limits don't budge regardless of where my credit report is now compared to when I got them... no Chase auto-CLI at six months for me is one such example.

        
Message 6 of 19
Meltdownblitz
Frequent Contributor

If I had to take a guess I would say yes, it seems that usage is huge with recieving a CLI. If you have a 10k limit and spending $500 a month, why would you think they think you need an increase? However on the other hand if you spend a good amount of your CL and PIF or close to it, you would have a valid reason to ask for an increase. This is just my thinking, however as always YMMV.

Barclays Uber - 4% Restaurants, 2% Online Purchases/Everyday Card || PenFed Cash - 5% Gas || Amazon Visa Signature - 5% Amazon || U.S. Bank Cash+ - 5% Utilities, 5% Cable/Internet || AMEX BCP - 6% Groceries || WF Cash - Cell Insurance || Rotating 5% Categories - Chase Freedom, Discover It, Citi Dividend || AMEX Zync - For Fun!

Message 7 of 19
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Might work for some but for sure not for Discover. For 11 months I had an util of 70-90% and PIF but no luck at all..Smiley Sad ...even HP declined Smiley Sad ... I am giving up use the card for 20% only and the 5% categories. They obviously do not want the rest of my charges...LOL...this will make others happy

Message 8 of 19
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@lg8302ch wrote:
Might work for some but for sure not for Discover. For 11 months I had an util of 70-90% and PIF but no luck at all..Smiley Sad ...even HP declined Smiley Sad ... I am giving up use the card for 20% only and the 5% categories. They obviously do not want the rest of my charges...LOL...this will make others happy

You're pretty much past the point needing revolving categories anyway with your gold plated file Smiley Happy.

        
Message 9 of 19
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Revelate
LOL...yes but 5K with Discover would help...agree I do not need 25K....5K needed, 10K nice to have and the rest is luxe...but 2,5K on a great card really hurts me...if this would be on Citi AA then I could live with it .....hope in 6-12 month I can crack Discover...all I want/need is a 5K limit Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.