cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does using a card a lot increase chances of a CLI?

tag
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

Does using a card a lot increase chances of a CLI?

I  got credit cards to rebuild my credit and all things being equal I would prefer to just leave them in my sock drawer or in the atticy of my grandma's house or somewhere far far away from me while they age  and hopefully increase in credit limit. Is this ok to do or do I need to be making some sort of minimal charges on them to maximize my chances for CLIs? I have a bad track record with credit card and I would prefer to pay cash for stuff. But if I need to say make one charge a month with each or 5 or whatever the number may be I will do it. I just would rather leave them in my sock drawer than risk ringing up a bunch of credit card debt. Thats what got me in trouble in the first place. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of how to maximize CLIs? My cards are listed in my sig. 

It is my understanding that I should pursue a new CLI with my Walmart card like every 4 months and with my Capital one I can try EO at 6 months. But will running a bunch of charges through them help? Every time I use my cards I am risking going into credit card debt because I have been undisciplined and impulsive in the past and if I bring my wife along to the store with me and she sees I have new credit then forget it. She has ways of convincing me and I don't stand a chance.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Re: Does using a card a lot increase chances of a CLI?

If you don't trust yourself with them then leave them alone.  Geting CLI's isn't worth racking up needless debt.  Just make one small purchase every three months or so to keep them active.  Some issuers will continue to give CLI's with minimal uses and others won't.  Still isn't worth racking up debt over. 

Message 2 of 15
snowkitty
Established Contributor

Maybe you can just put a small recurring charge through one or both of the cards? Like a subscription to netflix, magazine, etc. That way the charge would be minimal and would not require you to carry the cards with you if you don't trust yourself.

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 3 of 15
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I would imagine that the use of your card coud benefit auto CLI or when you ask for the CLI. But it is important that you use your cards the same way as you would treat cash payments. Purchase only what you can PIF!  In your case I would try to use the card as much as I could and make sure I would report 1 account with 0 balance and the other with 1-9% only. This means that your balance  needs to be paid before statement cuts. 0 balance reporting on both cards is not a good idea if you try to get your Fico scores up.. best result is 1 account with less than 9% - rest with 0 balance. Has worked for me but I am still testing around various combinations for me.

If you think you could end up buying stuff that you cannot immediately PIF, do NOT ask for CLI and use the cards as suggested above. But if you can handle the CL and make sure not to use as "CREDIT" but as debit then use the cards to demonstrate that you can responsibly use it and pay and stay within your limits. Would assume that when looking at account for auto CLI it matters if you use the card of if you have no need for an increase..but this is only a guess on my side..new to this forum as well.

Good luck!

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes sure it does,imo

Message 5 of 15
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Train yourself....

charge something small and pif every month.

high usage matters mostly for Amex or high end cards..

but every creditor appreciates low util that is paid in full.

I even revolve balances from time to time to toss my creditors a bone.

:-) just be careful!!! To have great cred, you're going to have to train yourself.... If you can't trust yourself now, you'll never get to those prime cards w high limits.

good luck!:-)

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 6 of 15
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Might also remind your wifey that your ability to provide for her and a family partially

hinges on ability to obtain credit...

in other words,

if you have too much debt and cant pay a cc bill, you won't be able to obtain a mortgage or auto loan in the future... Imo, that's a pretty good motivation LOL..

in reality, you'd prob just have to pay a much larger interest rate with bad credit than not be able to obtain it at all.

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 7 of 15
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

I disagree with the idea of heavy spending is the only way to get CLI.

Responsible usage is the primary indicator of a CLI in my opinion.

I put less than $1,000 through my Amex over the first 60 days and received a $9,000 CLI. So...there you go. Charge only what you can and pay in full. That's my secret to success.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 8 of 15
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Agree with snack!

Message 9 of 15
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

as you mention you don't want to get into credit debt and having problem to.make payment then I suggest :

bring your card out one per month. One small charge. Let them report.

you all set

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.