cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does using one credit card for most purchases build a stronger bond with them?

tag
Reincarnated
New Contributor

Does using one credit card for most purchases build a stronger bond with them?

Hey everyone.

I was just wondering if using one of your credit cards more than the rest shows the company that you're loyal and builds a reputation with them?

Does this lead to CLI with cards with more usage, or is it all the same in the end? Does using a certain company more increase chances of future apps with them?

Chase Freedom $1,000 // Discover It $3,100 // SallieMae World $4,400 // Capital One Quicksilver $5,000 // Citibank Double Cash $5,000 // AMEX Costco TrueEarnings $6,000 // AMEX Blue Cash Everyday $21,000
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
DevotionToU
Regular Contributor

Re: Does using one credit card for most purchases build a stronger bond with them?

Most companies like lots of transactions, because they get the swipe fees from the merchants.  Where they tend to differ is on whether or not they like someone carrying a balance.  IIRC, Discover is generous with CLIs when someone carries a balance (preferably not a high one), whereas AMEX prefers to be PIF on their revolvers.  Not sure about the other major companies particular policies.  I know from my own experience Cap1 isn't typically too generous with CLIs regardless of pattern of use.

$18000 Discover IT / $6000 Chase Freedom / $5000 DCU Visa / $3900 Fifth Third / $2500 Capital One Quicksilver / $2000 AMEX Blue Cash Everyday / $500 Chase Slate
Message 2 of 5
navistar
Regular Contributor

Re: Does using one credit card for most purchases build a stronger bond with them?

I may not be the norm but barclay gave me a cli from $2600 to 4600 and it has been over 70% for quite some time. Im paying it down now so hopefully i dont get the dreaded CLD like some others have from barclay.

MyFico Equifax - 691
MyFico Experian - 692
Barclay Transunion - 682 (Last Updated 03/21/14)

Citi Diamond Preferred - $2,300 / Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage - $5,600 / Barclay - $4,600 / GE Care Credit - $1,000
Current Utilization - 52% / AAoA - 6yrs
Message 3 of 5
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

In general, most companies like to see as much usage as possible. However, if you aren't carrying a balance they are not going to know how much you are using one card in relation to another card (unless both cards are theirs). The more usage the better in general. This can help lead to CLIs. It can also help you improve your internal score with them so future apps are met with approvals and higher CLs. This is a big generalization, but true for most lenders.

Message 4 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Reincarnated wrote:

Does this lead to CLI with cards with more usage

Usage can help but it's not going to overcome any issues with your credit.  As always one's credit matters as well -- not just individual factors such as usage.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.