cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does util on an auth user cards affect my fico scores?

tag
Legions36
Frequent Contributor

Does util on an auth user cards affect my fico scores?

I have a few cards that im an authorized user for my girlfriends cards and I have noticed that I have been getting alerts for when those cards balances go up or down. Does Fico recognize this? The cards currently have high balances. So if i pay them down will Fico recognize this on my score because i can do exactly that pay them all down? 

EQ-784 TU-777 EXP-772 12/11/15

NFCU(11.5k), USAA(6k), DCU(10k), Sapphire(5k), Duck(5k), Freedom(1k), Quicksilver(3k), DiscoverIT(2k), AmexBCE($800),
New cards 12/12-NFCU-MC(18.5k), Simplicity(9.2k),Slate(7.5k),Amex(3.8k)
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Does util on an auth user cards affect my fico scores?

As an AU they're showing up on your report so, yes, they count.

Message 2 of 12
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

One of the reasons I caution people on adding AUs. Def monitor your CR's and get your util down.
Message 3 of 12
MissCredit9
Frequent Contributor

I'm having the same problem with my DH. He has the Macy's storecard and is carrying a balance. Is there a way to get the CRA's not to show AU accounts on your report?

AMEX PRG NPSL, FIDELITY REWARDS 50K, CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE 27K, AMEX DELTA SKYMIES GOLD 25K, CITI DIAMOND PREFERRED 22K, CHASE FREEDOM 20K, CITI DOUBLE CASH 15.5K, BARCLAYCARD REWARDS MASTERCARD 15K, CHASE MARRIOTT PREMIER 5K, CAPITAL ONE SONY CARD 5.75K, CAPITAL ONE QUICKSILVER 3.5K, AMAZON STORECARD 6K, VICTORIAS SECRET 2650, EXPRESS NEXT 1850,Gardening2/17/17.
Message 4 of 12
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 5 of 12
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@MissCredit9 wrote:

I'm having the same problem with my DH. He has the Macy's storecard and is carrying a balance. Is there a way to get the CRA's not to show AU accounts on your report?

No.  It is up to creditor whether AU accounts report or not.  Easiest way is to remove yourself as AU and then dispute account as not mine.  It should make it disappear.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 6 of 12
MissCredit9
Frequent Contributor

Yes the DH is the primary. I hate to offend him by asking him to remove me. I offered to pay it and let him pay me to avoid interest but he is not having it.... OH well

AMEX PRG NPSL, FIDELITY REWARDS 50K, CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE 27K, AMEX DELTA SKYMIES GOLD 25K, CITI DIAMOND PREFERRED 22K, CHASE FREEDOM 20K, CITI DOUBLE CASH 15.5K, BARCLAYCARD REWARDS MASTERCARD 15K, CHASE MARRIOTT PREMIER 5K, CAPITAL ONE SONY CARD 5.75K, CAPITAL ONE QUICKSILVER 3.5K, AMAZON STORECARD 6K, VICTORIAS SECRET 2650, EXPRESS NEXT 1850,Gardening2/17/17.
Message 7 of 12
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

You can remove yourself and then dispute it with the CRAs. Then again, if you do not want to rock any boats at home ....
Message 8 of 12
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Kinda varies by lender...

I added my DW to my Macy's card to help build her profile a few years ago.

Currently, our goal is to REMOVE as much debt from her name as possible, so she disputed several accounts with the CRA's and Macy's was one that got deleted.  She's still an AU...still carries and uses the card....but it no longer appears on her credit reports.

Keep the card....keep the DH happy...dispute the account on all three CRA's as "not mine" and Macy's should no longer report on your credit report.

I am aware that this does NOT work with every card.   (tried it with Kohls and JCP with no luck...)   ...but it DID work for us at Macy's. 

Good luck!

02/01/24 Fico 8: EX 757, EQ 803, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 760 12/16/23, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 9 of 12
parakleet
Valued Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

Kinda varies by lender...

I added my DW to my Macy's card to help build her profile a few years ago.

Currently, our goal is to REMOVE as much debt from her name as possible, so she disputed several accounts with the CRA's and Macy's was one that got deleted.  She's still an AU...still carries and uses the card....but it no longer appears on her credit reports.

Keep the card....keep the DH happy...dispute the account on all three CRA's as "not mine" and Macy's should no longer report on your credit report.

I am aware that this does NOT work with every card.   (tried it with Kohls and JCP with no luck...)   ...but it DID work for us at Macy's. 

Good luck!

I could be mistaken but this feels like an unethical practice to engage in especially when the OP knows that they are an AU. Others may see it differently. 

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.