Regular Contributor
Legions36

Does util on an auth user cards affect my fico scores?

I have a few cards that im an authorized user for my girlfriends cards and I have noticed that I have been getting alerts for when those cards balances go up or down. Does Fico recognize this? The cards currently have high balances. So if i pay them down will Fico recognize this on my score because i can do exactly that pay them all down? 

(Fico Equifax-721 11/19) (Fico Experian-729 11/14) (Fico Trans-691 11/4)
NFCU(10k), USAA(6k), DCU(10k), Sapphire(5k), Duck(5k), Freedom(3k), Quicksilver(3k), DiscoverIT(1500), AmexBCE($800), Orch Bank($400)
Valued Contributor
takeshi74

Re: Does util on an auth user cards affect my fico scores?

As an AU they're showing up on your report so, yes, they count.

09Lexie

One of the reasons I caution people on adding AUs. Def monitor your CR's and get your util down.
Frequent Contributor
MissCredit9

I'm having the same problem with my DH. He has the Macy's storecard and is carrying a balance. Is there a way to get the CRA's not to show AU accounts on your report?

AMEX PRG NPSL, CITI DIAMOND PREFERRED 20K, FIDELITY AMEX 20K, CHASE SAPPHIRE PREFERRED 15K, AMEX DELTA SKYMILES GOLD 6K, CHASE MARRIOTT PREMIER 5K, BARCLAYCARD REWARDS MASTERCARD 4K, CAPITAL ONE QUICKSILVER 3K, AMAZON STORECARD 6K, VICTORIAS SECRET 1050, EXPRESS NEXT 650
09Lexie

Valued Contributor
Crashem

MissCredit9 wrote:

I'm having the same problem with my DH. He has the Macy's storecard and is carrying a balance. Is there a way to get the CRA's not to show AU accounts on your report?

No.  It is up to creditor whether AU accounts report or not.  Easiest way is to remove yourself as AU and then dispute account as not mine.  It should make it disappear.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Frequent Contributor
MissCredit9

Yes the DH is the primary. I hate to offend him by asking him to remove me. I offered to pay it and let him pay me to avoid interest but he is not having it.... OH well

AMEX PRG NPSL, CITI DIAMOND PREFERRED 20K, FIDELITY AMEX 20K, CHASE SAPPHIRE PREFERRED 15K, AMEX DELTA SKYMILES GOLD 6K, CHASE MARRIOTT PREMIER 5K, BARCLAYCARD REWARDS MASTERCARD 4K, CAPITAL ONE QUICKSILVER 3K, AMAZON STORECARD 6K, VICTORIAS SECRET 1050, EXPRESS NEXT 650
09Lexie

You can remove yourself and then dispute it with the CRAs. Then again, if you do not want to rock any boats at home ....
Valued Contributor
tcbofade

Kinda varies by lender...

I added my DW to my Macy's card to help build her profile a few years ago.

Currently, our goal is to REMOVE as much debt from her name as possible, so she disputed several accounts with the CRA's and Macy's was one that got deleted.  She's still an AU...still carries and uses the card....but it no longer appears on her credit reports.

Keep the card....keep the DH happy...dispute the account on all three CRA's as "not mine" and Macy's should no longer report on your credit report.

I am aware that this does NOT work with every card.   (tried it with Kohls and JCP with no luck...)   ...but it DID work for us at Macy's. 

Good luck!

Current Scores: EX 671 (FCR) TU08: 638 Wally (TU08).10/11//14 Last app 05/29/2014.
Being held hostage in the garden until 01 November 2014.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Valued Contributor
parakleet

tcbofade wrote:

Kinda varies by lender...

I added my DW to my Macy's card to help build her profile a few years ago.

Currently, our goal is to REMOVE as much debt from her name as possible, so she disputed several accounts with the CRA's and Macy's was one that got deleted.  She's still an AU...still carries and uses the card....but it no longer appears on her credit reports.

Keep the card....keep the DH happy...dispute the account on all three CRA's as "not mine" and Macy's should no longer report on your credit report.

I am aware that this does NOT work with every card.   (tried it with Kohls and JCP with no luck...)   ...but it DID work for us at Macy's. 

Good luck!

I could be mistaken but this feels like an unethical practice to engage in especially when the OP knows that they are an AU. Others may see it differently. 

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}