cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doesn't getting dinged quell the app itch?

tag
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Doesn't getting dinged quell the app itch?

@adavis425 wrote:

It's even worse when you get dinged for a denial.Smiley Frustrated

A denial has no effect on your score. The inquiry might cause a drop but not the denial itself.

Edited for clarity.

Message 11 of 30
Sassy_Taurus
Frequent Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

As glad as I am to have a Chase card in the mail, I'm really feeling the sting of losing 5 points on EQ (not including a potential drop when it reports). It seems like a lot of people here app for a lot of cards, so I'm curious about how you deal with the sting of your FICO dropping. Smiley Sad

I lost pts for app'ing and that alone cured my app itch. My hands are firmly planted in the soil and I'm gardening for the next 6-8 months.

Message 12 of 30
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Well, I guess it bothers me more because I'm right on the 760 cusp, which is pivotal for interest rates, CLs, etc. And I've been spreading out my apps among the 3 CRAs, so I hadn't planned on getting 2 on the same CR at the same time. From here on out, I'm just going to take auto-CLIs or SPs. I guess once I have all of the cards I want, it won't be so big of a deal to have an inq. for a CLI.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 13 of 30
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

Well, I guess it bothers me more because I'm right on the 760 cusp, which is pivotal for interest rates, CLs, etc. And I've been spreading out my apps among the 3 CRAs, so I hadn't planned on getting 2 on the same CR at the same time. From here on out, I'm just going to take auto-CLIs or SPs. I guess once I have all of the cards I want, it won't be so big of a deal to have an inq. for a CLI.

I think thats a good idea for you! Next year will be good for CLI's and your new cards will have some positive age!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 14 of 30
marty56
Super Contributor

Oh yeah.  LOL I got an email from BML saying I got a CLI and fear gripped me that I got an INQ.  Have to wait till next month to find out.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 15 of 30
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@bichonmom wrote:

I think thats a good idea for you! Next year will be good for CLI's and your new cards will have some positive age!!!

I hope so... hoping for an auto CLI from Barclay's at 6 mos. and will probably go for Amex around 61 days. I think everything else is a HP.

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 16 of 30
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I "deal" with it knowing it's temporary.  I know the CLIs will have positive effects immediately and in the longrun.  New cards will too, for utilization.  I've seen my scores fluctuate before so 5 points doesn't really bother me.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 17 of 30
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@clocktick wrote:

I "deal" with it knowing it's temporary.  I know the CLIs will have positive effects immediately and in the longrun.  New cards will too, for utilization.  I've seen my scores fluctuate before so 5 points doesn't really bother me.

Good points, clocktick. Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 30
boomhower
Valued Contributor

The ding on approvals doesn't bother me much as it's short lived and I don't app unless I have something to gain that outweighs that loss.  Dings for denials suck horribly.

Message 19 of 30
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@clocktick wrote:

+1

good way to look at it!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.