Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doesn't make sense - Score increase for debt

tag
Minato08
Valued Member

Doesn't make sense - Score increase for debt

Since coming here, I learned (or at least thought I learned) a lot about credit reporting.  However, something weird happened recently. 

I've been keeping my credit cards at 0 balances for the last several months.  Before then, I had large balances and I saw my score jump dramatically for paying them off (about 100 points).   Just the other day, one of my cards reported a $1.00 balance and my fico jumped up another 15 points.  This is counterintuitive to say the least. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Doesn't make sense - Score increase for debtr

i believe is not because of the debt , there is another x  factor , for example your acct getting older or etc

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Doesn't make sense - Score increase for debt

@Minato08 wrote:

Since coming here, I learned (or at least thought I learned) a lot about credit reporting.  However, something weird happened recently. 

I've been keeping my credit cards at 0 balances for the last several months.  Before then, I had large balances and I saw my score jump dramatically for paying them off (about 100 points).   Just the other day, one of my cards reported a $1.00 balance and my fico jumped up another 15 points.  This is counterintuitive to say the least. 

No, that's normal. If all your cards report zero balances, you show that you don't use any credit and get dinged by the scoring formula. Reporting one balance of $1.00 shows that you make use of credit, but don't carry large balances. If you don't use credit, your score will be penalized.

Message 3 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

yes you need to have at least 1 card a month report a balance less than 9% of your credit line for optimizing score. If you have several accounts, I would rotate which one reports each month

Message 4 of 5
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

+1

"Juicy Fruit Ficos". 

Buy a pack (or two) of gum, let that balance report...and chew your way to higher Fico scores! 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.