Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doesn't the Freedom get annoying?

tag
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

Re: Doesn't the Freedom get annoying?

Yes, rotating categories are annoying, and overall Chase's cards are overrated, IMO.

Message 11 of 60
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@thelethargicage wrote:
Yes, rotating categories are annoying, and overall Chase's cards are overrated, IMO.

I do find the Freedom overrated as a standalone card - I know a lot of people love it moreso because they transfer the points to CSP and all that. But on its own? IMO, Discover pretty easily trumps it. But this will depend on the individual.

Message 12 of 60
icyhot
Valued Contributor

I do have the Delta Amex, just not the Gold. And I'm not flying Delta this time lol
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 13 of 60
CreditJim
Established Contributor

Discover and Freedom have the same category this quarter. All of my dining so far has been going on my Discover. I have started using the categories lately when I remember to, but really the only reason I have the Freedom is to 'store' my CL with no AF so I can move it over to other potential Chase card in the future.

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 14 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like my Freedom just fine.

Beats the following...

Message 15 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Are you trying to set a record for number of threads started?  Maybe list all of your thoughts in one thread. :-)

I just died. I would love to read the OP's diary. Smiley Tongue

In all seriousness, I actually love my Freedom. It's got a great limit and it's a Siggie. But from an objective standpoint, I also like it because the rotating categories really line up with my spending well. I've already used more than 1/2 of the card's $1500 category spending limit for this quarter since I eat at restaurants a lot. My Discover It is also getting some exercise, but not as much because some of the local restaurants don't accept Discover.

Message 16 of 60
Noctilum
Frequent Contributor

It's not annoying... just useless most of the time.  I only benefit from the 5% gas as other cards give me more for other purchases.  Well, I guess my CL is good at least.

Message 17 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, I'm sure Irish was jesting. Make all the threads you want, we'll answer them all!

I mostly agree with kdm. I vastly prefer Discover IT for the quarters, since Freedom decided to match its up with Discover and Discover's are broader. However, there are still places that don't take Discover, as I discovered today when I paid for dinner. If I hadn't had my Freedom, I would have had to drop down to a 3% card, rather than getting 5%

Message 18 of 60
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Are you trying to set a record for number of threads started?  Maybe list all of your thoughts in one thread. :-)

I just died. I would love to read the OP's diary. Smiley Tongue

In all seriousness, I actually love my Freedom. It's got a great limit and it's a Siggie. But from an objective standpoint, I also like it because the rotating categories really line up with my spending well. I've already used more than 1/2 of the card's $1500 category spending limit for this quarter since I eat at restaurants a lot. My Discover It is also getting some exercise, but not as much because some of the local restaurants don't accept Discover.

Probably will stick with Freedom for this reason.   Many locals only accept visa/mc/cash.  I don't have a problem with Chase accruals.  If need to move for planned ink app in 2016, then will open discover.

Signature needs updating
Message 19 of 60
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@thelethargicage wrote:

I do find the Freedom overrated as a standalone card - I know a lot of people love it moreso because they transfer the points to CSP and all that. But on its own? IMO, Discover pretty easily trumps it. But this will depend on the individual.

Agreed -- if you have the CSP and use it for UR points, Freedom is pretty great because you transfer the points. Or if you find the 5% categories work for you. The only one I like is restaurants (right now); I have Sallie Mae for Amazon all year round, Sallie Mae for gas (I only fill up once a month at $25 so gas isn't a big deal for me anyway), and the rest of the categories are pretty useless to me (haven't been to the movies in years, hate Starbucks, rarely shop at department stores, etc.). Makes me wish I had Chase AARP for the year round 3% dining or a general spend card instead. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 20 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.