cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doing the math on the Chase Sapphire Preferred...

tag
severine
Contributor

Doing the math on the Chase Sapphire Preferred...

I have just obtained a Chase Sapphire Preferred (yippee!) and have been looking closely at the signing bonus which offers you 40,000 pts if you spend $3000 in the first three months. Originally I had applied for the Chase Freedom which they gave to me with a CL of $10,000. I called back to do a Sapphire Preferred app, and they very kindly gave me both by splitting the $10,000 between the two cards--never heard of that maneouver, but I was pleased.

Here is my actual question, dear readers: how do I spend the $3000 without killing my UTIL? With a CL of $5000, I wouldn't want to spend any more than $1500 a month max, so what should I do? I'd love to hear your take on this!

Amex PR Gold NPSL | Amex BCP 16.5k| Amex Delta Gold Skymiles 14.9k | Amex BSP 5k | Discover 12.5k | Citi Diamond Preferred 11.9k | Chase Freedom 12k | Chase Sapphire Preferred 12k | US Bank Cash + Visa 13k | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Signature Visa 9.5k | M and T Bank Visa 10.9k | FICO TU 784 EQ 768 EX 784
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Doing the math on the Chase Sapphire Preferred...

You can spend right up to your limit if you want, and not have it affect your utilization if you pay it off before you card reports. It usually reports right around the statement date, so if you pay it off before your statement cuts, it will usually reflect whatever balance is left after your payment on your reports. 

Hope this helps. 

Message 2 of 23
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

All that you need to do to keep util down is submit a payment before the statement closing date. 

Say for example you spend 2k during your first statement period and your statement closing date is august 30. On or around august 26-27 just send them a payment for about $1500.this 1500 would post before your closing date and chase would report your balance as 500 instead of 2000.

Then pif the rest after the closing date

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 3 of 23
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

This is much easier to do if you link your bank account payment information on chases website although I suppose submitting a payment via telephone would work as well

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 4 of 23
severine
Contributor

Thank you! I LOVE you people and your wiley cc ways!Smiley Happy

Amex PR Gold NPSL | Amex BCP 16.5k| Amex Delta Gold Skymiles 14.9k | Amex BSP 5k | Discover 12.5k | Citi Diamond Preferred 11.9k | Chase Freedom 12k | Chase Sapphire Preferred 12k | US Bank Cash + Visa 13k | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Signature Visa 9.5k | M and T Bank Visa 10.9k | FICO TU 784 EQ 768 EX 784
Message 5 of 23
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

pay the card off before the statements hit. 

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 6 of 23
compassion101
Established Contributor

I'd just not worry about the util until you are planning to apply for credit. Then pay before the statement date that month. All the other months just use the extra 3-4 week float and pay on time

Message 7 of 23
Open123
Super Contributor

@severine wrote:

I have just obtained a Chase Sapphire Preferred (yippee!) and have been looking closely at the signing bonus which offers you 40,000 pts if you spend $3000 in the first three months. 

Chase just lowered the spend requirement to $2,000.  As per Chase's custom to match any new offers within 60 day, just send them a secured email to request an adjustment to lower your spending requirement to the updated $2,000.

Message 8 of 23
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@severine wrote:

I have just obtained a Chase Sapphire Preferred (yippee!) and have been looking closely at the signing bonus which offers you 40,000 pts if you spend $3000 in the first three months. 

Chase just lowered the spend requirement to $2,000.  As per Chase's custom to match any new offers within 60 day, just send them a secured email to request an adjustment to lower your spending requirement to the updated $2,000.

+1

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 9 of 23
severine
Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@severine wrote:

+1

Thanks you guys, will do!

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.