Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't Cancel Credit Cards!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't Cancel Credit Cards!

This is a warning to others who might get caught in this trap.  I learned this lesson the hard way.  Don't cancel credit cards ~ it will lower your FICO Score!  My auto insurance company raised my premium because I had "too many credit cards," which made me angry because I only used a few and always paid at least the minimum amount and, for years, the whole amount owed, so my credit was excellent.  But I then cancelled a bunch of cards I didn't use, because they said I had too many.  BIG MISTAKE!  Doing that LOWERED MY FICO SCORE!  Having credit cards you've had a long time is a plus for your FICO score, and also a large amount of credit available to you is a plus, and I had large credit limits on those cards I cancelled.  My FICO is still good, but I resent having it lowered because my auto insurance company decided that I had too many credit cards!   
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Don't Cancel Credit Cards!

I'm sorry this happened to youSmiley Sad allot of us in the forum are aware of this. Canceling cards that have allot of age on them is never a great idea. It will come back to always haunt you but in any case thanks for sharing.

King Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Depending on the cards, you might be able to reopen some of them and keep the credit history.

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I canceled them anyways. My score will recover.
Message 4 of 22
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Depending on the cards, you might be able to reopen some of them and keep the credit history.

reopening is typically a possibility for a brief period after closure (like 30 days) depending on issuer so act quickly.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 5 of 22
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Generally what whacks your score is losing the credit limits from the closed cards, if you have balances posting on the remaining cards.

The damage from lost history doesn't happen until up till ten years later, when they fall off your reports. Or whenever Equifax decides to dump them.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like u need to end the relation with the insurance company. Sounds like they just wanted a reason to get more money out of u.
Message 7 of 22
SocalMark
Regular Contributor

Please someone explain why the insurance company cares about credit cards?
Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

They don't. They care about your fico score. Evidently they think that people with bad credit are bad insurance risks also, so if your credit sucks, you pay higher insurance premiums. That is my one and only quarrell with Dave Ramsey. He goes on and on about how his fico is zero and a afico score is an "I love debt" score. No, for me, it's an "I like lower insurance premiums" score. So. for those of us who are not multi millionaires like him, we need to have a good fico as we can.

Sorry that happened to you. I just closed my Merrick card today. They did not give one whip about my decision to close it if they would not take away the annual fee. They could not care less. I say good riddance to them. I just refionanced my house to 4.5, and opened about $25000 worth of credit limit cards in the last month, so I think I can recover from the small loss my fico might take from closing that little stinking Merrickl card with a limit of only $1350
Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

people forget average age of accounts is not affected by closing a card for 10 years!

that's the single most overlooked thing when someone is afraid of closing cards, because they think it affects it right away.

i'm all for closing cards that don't work for you, that don't grow with you, that have no rewards, etc.

Message Edited by thoughts1 on 06-24-2009 09:55 PM
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.